[rpd] off-topic [PDWG-Appeal] REPORT ON Appeal against the non-consensus determination on proposal AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT02...

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 07:08:24 UTC 2021

Dear PDWG,

Please see my comment below (inline)...

Le jeudi 8 avril 2021, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> a écrit :

> Owen,

> On Mar 8, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Owen DeLong via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Actually, ICANN does not have the authority to sanction new RIRs. The IANA

> is involved in that process.

> While not particularly relevant to the discussion, this is incorrect.

> IANA has no role in the creation of new RIRs. The decision to recognize a

> new RIR is ICANN Board’s based on recommendation from the ASO (see section

> 4.b.2 of https://aso.icann.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ASO-

> MoU-Executed-Nov-7-2019.pdf)

Hi David,
Thanks for your instructive email, brother!

...may i add that there is an other possibility for
ICANN to varying the process in that regard.

It is included into the -POWERS- "RESTRICTIONS"
section of ICANN's Bylaws [1], to cover any case
of emergency. Please see below:

~°~
[...]
Section 2.2. RESTRICTIONS

ICANN shall not act as a Domain Name System Registry or Registrar or
Internet Protocol Address Registry in competition with entities affected by
the policies of ICANN. Nothing in this *Section 2.2* is intended to prevent
ICANN from taking whatever steps are necessary to protect the operational
stability of the Internet in the event of financial failure of a Registry
or Registrar or other emergency.
[...]
~°~
__
[1]: <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/bylaws-en#article2>

Shalom,
--sb.

> As I understand it, the empowered community through the NRO controls the

> awarding of the IANA functions contract which is currently awarded to ICANN

> and subcontracted too PTI. (I’m still not 100% clear on the relationship

> between ICANN and PTI).

> PTI is a wholly-owned affiliate of ICANN. All the IANA functions are

> performed by PTI and, of course, the NRO does NOT control the awarding of

> the IANA functions, although they have chosen ICANN to perform the IANA

> _numbering_ function (see https://www.nro.net/wp-

> content/uploads/SLA-Executed-ICANN-RIRS.pdf).

> Regards,

> -drc

> ICANN CTO

Best Regards !
__
baya.sylvain[AT cmNOG DOT cm]|<www.cmnog.cm/dokuwiki>
__
#‎LASAINTEBIBLE‬|#‎Romains15‬:33«Que LE ‪#‎DIEU‬ de ‪#‎Paix‬ soit avec vous
tous! ‪#‎Amen‬!»
‪#‎MaPrière‬ est que tu naisses de nouveau. #Chrétiennement‬
«Comme une biche soupire après des courants d’eau, ainsi mon âme soupire
après TOI, ô DIEU!»(#Psaumes42:2)