[rpd] missing emails from co-chairs to board

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 08:57:44 UTC 2021

Colleagues

I think it is time to stop flogging this dead horse.

AK has provided some evidence (albeit not verifiable, for whatever reason he may have - it is unclear why he won’t share the actual mails and his explanation below does not hold water to me).

However, even the imperfect evidence shared shows communication with the staff liaison and not the board.

It appears the co-chairs did not fulfil their obligation to send the policy to the board. At best they seem to have expected that the liaison would send it on their behalf. However there is no clear request to do so and even if there was such a clear request, my understanding is that would be outside the CPM which requires the chair/s to send the recommendation.

3.4.4 Approval
The Working Group Chair(s) shall recommend the draft policy to the AFRINIC Board of Directors for approval if it has the consensus of the Policy Development Working Group. The recommendation shall include a report of the discussions of the draft policy and feedback from the Last Call. The draft policy shall be ratified by the AFRINIC Board of Directors. (my emphasis)

As such, I think we have to accept that we will not get further clarity and we need to move on, as suggested by the CEO.

Further comments in-line below.

> On 13 Apr 2021, at 09:36, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

snip

> El 13/4/21 8:06, "ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE" <oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng <mailto:oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng>> escribió:

> We have refused to forward or re- forward the email to the mailing list or board's mailing list for a reasons and we think we need to make this reason public.

This will be appreciated

> Just before sending the document to the board then, we sent the same document to the Madhvi who is an AFRINIC staff and the Policy Liaison Officer. In fact as you can see from the email exchange she acknowledged that the document was ready to be sent to the board after which we made no changes to the content of the document. She has never claimed the document was not received by her so we are sure she has it Therefore she can process internally. We are sure she has the final version and in the best position to just process it internally. We only sent it as two documents and nothing was changed in the content. This way we can preserve the date and content of the document.

As above, the CPM which requires the chair/s to send the recommendation. Suggesting that it is the role of the liaison is a clear misunderstanding of the CPM.

> We believe the drive to get us to resend it again by some people is an attempt to avoid the document being processd while trying to waste some more precious time.

> Something of this nature, was already suggested in your email as you asked us to send it for just public knowledge. The document via not for public knowledge, it a document that the board should process as appropriate.

It is this working group that develops policy. Why should we be excluded from knowing how it is being processed and that our selected chair/s are fulfilling their obligations under the CPM?

> We believe that the document is in the hands of AFRINIC staff.

Maybe it is - but it is the role of the chair/s to submit the policy and report to the board.

@Abdulkarim, I think it is time to stop with personal attacks on the chair and the policy liaison or your unfounded conspiracy theories. No one is asking you to resend the document (as you are no longer the chair, it would be moot). Instead the WG has asked you to provide confirmation that you complied with section 3.4.4 of the CPM. So far you have failed and/or refused to do so and it is in fact you who are making excuses and wasting our time.

> Therefore, if we are all sincere and looking for a genuine way forward. This is a very simple case, AFRINIC staff who is also the PDWG Secretariat at the moment has the document. She can just process it internally as she has always had our permission to do this.

As above, it is the role of the chair/s under 3.4.4 of the CPM to recommend the draft policy to the board and to transmit the report. it is irregular to expect AfriNIC staff to do this. As you are no longer the chair, this would only be valid if sent by you prior to your recall.

Mike