[rpd] Eligibility Criteria for PDWG chairs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 29 02:45:29 UTC 2021

> On Mar 27, 2021, at 1:41 AM, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 11:13 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD, <rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net>> wrote:

> HI Owen,

> Agree with your inputs on C and D. Regarding the co-chairs training, I know it has been for previous co-chairs, so I expect the same for new ones.

> Should we not avoid selecting incompetent volunteers as co-chairs that they would need to be trained to administer the WG.

So you wish to vett co-chairs not only for their technical qualifications, but also their ability to run a meeting in order to avoid the need to give then a ~60 minute seminar on the topic?

That’s absurd. It’s not a common skill among the community and IMHO would dramatically reduce the available candidate pool to a very small number.

> We have had experienced people volunteer in the past as co-chairs and I am sure they didn't need any training.

Actually most of them have apparently received some level of training in this area.

> Years of participation coupled with technical experience with the PDP should be what we look for as WG to avoid selecting incompetent member of the community who need AFRINIC training that even with the said training might still not be upto the task.

Agreed… However, years of participation coupled with technical experience with the PDP will not teach you how to moderate a meeting, especially one which has a tendency for some participants to get somewhat unruly. The skills of moderating such a meeting are NOT commonplace in this community and are not learned by osmosis while participating.

Unless you would call me incompetent by your above criteria (and I think it would be a very difficult case for you to make), you should be supporting my position. Even if I were not otherwise conflicted and ineligible, I would not want to preside over an AFRiNIC PDWG meeting without such training.

AC members do not preside over such meetings in the ARIN region, but those who do are trained in this area and that’s a much less contentious environment.