[rpd] clarify? - (Fwd) Adhoc Appeal Committee appointment

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Thu Mar 11 07:51:13 UTC 2021

On 10 Mar 2021 at 21:01, Noah wrote:

> Ahem...

> IMHO, the current Appeal Committee which is not fully constituted also

> has not been following its Terms of Reference.

> So, I was reading the 18th February minutes of the Appeal Committee

> meeting chaired by Adam Nelson and noted that whereas the AC was

> discussing among other things their work related to an appeal ref:

> Policy Compliance Dashboard and the resignation of fellow AC

> members.......

> This Appeal Committee was supposed to actually complete its work on

> all the appeals by 18th February 2021 as per the timelines it shared

> with the PDWG, but that was not the case.

> So my question is, did the Appeal Committee members in their previous

> meeting violate their own terms of reference as per section 4.4 of the

> ToR.?

If I may be allowed to quote an old phrase based on Alexander Pope, "A little knowledge is a
dangerous thing."

If you read through the minutes of this Appeal Committee on these appeals then you will find
that there was extensive discussion on applying Section 4.4 of the ToR when needed. That
need would have arisen after 18 February 2021.

So, if you read the minutes that you are refering to then you will see that the Appeal
Committee did realise that it had additional work to do after 18 February 2021 but resolved to
await the direction of the Board following the gagging of the Appeal Committee by the Board
Chair, see Minute 2 second paragraph.

Had that gagging of the Appeal Committee not been made by the Board Chair, the Appeal
Committee would have requested the Board for more time as Section 4.4 of the ToR
requires.

So, no, the Appeal Committee did not violate the terms of reference. Please read a little more
to appreciate the whole scene.

Does this answer the question ?

Regards,

Paulos