[rpd] Secretariat PDWG

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Feb 28 14:22:06 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 14:42 Sami Ait Ali Oulahcen via RPD, <rpd at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> Hi Mike,

> On 2/26/21 11:44 AM, Mike Silber wrote:

> I just wonder if that is because they believe they have

> > enough sock puppets on the mailing list to win an election?

> That must be it. Co-Chair election via voting has proven to be not ideal.

> The electorate should have a stake in the game. Letting random passersby

> whether in a room or on a mailing list is borderline irresponsible. The

> AfriNIC community has grown much larger than it used to be and anonymous

> voting has now reached its limit.

Hi Sami

Actually when you read through Madhvi recent email to the WG, she indicated
as part of AFRINIC staff impact analysis that;

"The online election option will not allow us to guarantee the “one person
- one vote” principle even using the February 2020 cut-off date (Note: This
is the voters’ register used for the PDWG Co-Chairs’ election 2020). Should
this be a risk the PDWG is comfortable to accommodate, AFRINIC is ready to
organise the election as per the final timeline which will need to be
agreed upon between the PDWG, NomCom and Ecom."

The concern and that of many participants even last year was that sock
puppets accounts exist and no one can tell how many passive subscribers are
real WG participants considering the spikes that were noted last year and
posts from anonymous people that have become a norm.

In any case, the rpd list is for participation is WG discussions as per the
CPM and should never be used as a voter register with or without a cut-off
period.

By the way, what would stop a candidate for election from asking their
family, friends, students and village mates from registering online as a
voters? Would they also qualify as community members with interest in PDWG
work.?

Noah