[rpd] Secretariat PDWG

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon Feb 22 20:18:17 UTC 2021

Hi Eddy

While anybody can volunteer in the role, we should all as WG acknowledge
that we would be better off with "qualified" participants managing affairs
of the WG and some criteria for the role would come in handy, but your
email did not mention the importance of criteria.

In any case, the PDWG participants objectively agree and disagree by means
of rough consensus and/or consensus. For this case, my preference is for
the WG participants to select qualified co-chair volunteers by means of
consensus which should be straight forward if the candidates are qualified
known members of the working group.

Former co-chairs have been elected by this means before. Refer to the links
and quotes [1], [2] below.

[1] https://afrinic.net/policy/development-working-group/ppm-afrinic-22

"Boubakar called Seun to talk to the community for a few minutes before the
community can elect him. Seun thanked Khaled for showing strong support for
his nomination by withdrawing his candidature and urging the community to
support him. He stated that he would continue to uphold the principles of
the PDP and serve the community unreservedly as he has been doing.

*Ernest indicated that the election of PDWG co-chair is by show of hands
and by anyone present in the room. By show of hands, Seun was unanimously
selected for a subsequent two-year term as co-chair of the PDWG*."

[2]
https://afrinic.net/policy/development-working-group/ppm-afrinic-24#PDWGCo-Chair

"4.0 PDWG Co-Chair Election

The NOMCOM 2016 chair presented the process for nomination of the PDWG
co-chair and the several milestones in the process. He noted that there was
only one self-nominee (Sami Salih from Sudan, who is also one of the
current co-chairs). *Sami was invited to convince the community on why he
should be re-elected. In a show of hands, the community unanimously voted
Sami for another two years as PDWG co-chair.*"

[3] https://afrinic.net/policy/development-working-group/ppm-afrinic-18

And to quote also some text from 2013

*2.5 Election of the new PDWG co-chair. *

"Douglas Onyango, the NomCom 2013 Chair, briefly informed the meeting about
the roles of the PDWG co-chairs, their term of office and the election
process. He said Alan Barrett's term has ended, and stated that when a call
for nominations was sent to the community, two volunteers responded, and
they were Seun Ojedeji from Nigeria and Jean Claude Welo from DRC. He
further stated that Jean Claude has since withdrawn his candidature and has
at the same time endorsed Seun Ojedeji, and hence, Seun is the only
volunteer up for election. Douglas called upon Seun to talk about his
background and plans for the AFRINIC PDWG. Seun indicated his willingness
to serve as the PDWG co-chair and his availability to fully commit to
fulfilling all the responsibilities required of him in this function."

"*After a show of hands in support of his candidature, Seun was declared
the new co-chair in replacement for Alan Barrett. Douglas thanked Alan for
the service he has tirelessly rendered to the community in various
capacities including the PDWG and welcomed Seun into his new role.* "

To colleagues here on the PDWG, please note that we have in the past
successfully selected co-chairs by means of consensus as a
self-organized group of participants in policy development.

I therefore advocate for the selection of an interim chair and co-chairs by
means of PDWG consensus.

Cheers,
*./noah*
neo - network engineering and operations