[rpd] Selecting WG Co-Chairs: Was Re: Can a Consensual Decision of the PDWG Violate the PDP? (was: Report from Recall Committee)

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:54:19 UTC 2021

Hello Noah

It sounds a reasonable suggestion.
I think with at least 1 Co-Chair we can get things keep moving. The
ideal would be to have two in order to avoid one person taking decisions
alone.

I think a good scenario is that we appoint one interim chair and with
the person in place he/she works towards the selection of the second one
as a priority.

Now the most important point is: do we have any experienced people to
volunteer to server at least for some time and help the things settle
down a bit ? Any names we can consider ?

Regards
Fernando

On 19/02/2021 16:34, Noah wrote:

> Hello PDWG,

> Can we try a different approach?

> 1. Agree on appointing one interim chair until the next meeting

> 1.1 If yes (which is my preference), can we look for an experienced

> participant to volunteer in this role?

> 2. Instead, we use the PDP to deliberate on the proposals which are

> already under discussion?

> https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals

> <https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals>

> Cheers,

> Noah

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 12:33 Sunday Folayan, <sfolayan at skannet.com

> <mailto:sfolayan at skannet.com>> wrote:

> In the light of MJE's contribution, I would like to modify my

> earlier submission.

> My personal preference for Interim Chairs' selection:

> • [A] a selection through rough consensus [2] After prospects do

> volunteer;

> • [B] a selection based on ranking voting [3] if more than 2

> volunteers, then discussions;

> • [C] a selection based on an election (online) as usual [1] if

> more than 2 candidates and discussions stalemate;

> • [D] a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria

> [4] (a long and unnecessary process for selecting the interim

> Chairs);

> • [E] any other possibility?

> I have no problem with NOMCOM being the selectees in [D] above. It

> will not be a long and un-necessary process.

> Sunday.

> On 2/19/21 9:58 AM, Mark Elkins wrote:

>> Ask the NomCom to ask for volunteers. Just use the templates from

>> 2020. Have an initial cut-off after seven days.

>> With last year, I was quite ecstatic when we ended up with just

>> one volunteer. "Consensus" as such is great.

>> However, we technically need one person for three to six months

>> and another for that same period plus one year. I'm wondering

>> whether it might be more sane to extend both of these positions

>> by one year? - or we simply consent to have the same people

>> extended by an additional year each at whenever we have the next

>> AFRINIC meeting?  Alternativly - we could be seen as simply

>> bringing forwards the normal election of Co-Chairs to now(ish) -

>> as we have an urgent need.

>> We also need to have a system on deciding who is in for a short

>> term and who is in for a longer term. Voting may be the simplest

>> method (as this will all be done remotely).

>> Any way - my thoughts.

>> On 2/19/21 9:55 AM, Sunday Folayan wrote:

>>> My personal preference for Interim Chairs' selection:

>>> • a selection through rough consensus [2] After prospects do

>>> volunteer;

>>> • a selection based on ranking voting [3] if more than 2

>>> volunteers, then discussions;

>>> • a selection based on an election (online) as usual [1] if more

>>> than 2 candidates and discussions stalemate;

>>> • a selection inside a group of selectees based on criteria [4]

>>> (a long and unnecessary process for selecting the interim Chairs);

> [...]

>>> Sunday.