[rpd] Resignation of Policy Development Appeal Committee member

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Wed Feb 17 06:03:46 UTC 2021

Dear SM,

On 2021/02/16 21:42, S. Moonesamy wrote:

> Dear Jaco,

> At 06:16 AM 16-02-2021, Jaco Kroon wrote:

>> This is the second resignation from the AC in less than a week.

>> Should we be worried?

> A resignation would probably be of interest to the persons

> participating in the Policy Development Working Group.

It is indeed.  However, you failed to answer my question.

What concerns me is not that there has been resignations, but the rate
of resignation, especially giving the timing around the recall of the
co-chairs of the PDWG, which to me is a *potential* indicator of deeper
problems.  People don't just generally resign, there is usually some
form of motivation.  If this just happened to be co-incidence that two
members resign in short succession due to *purely* personal reasons then
so be it.

However, and other have already hinted at this, with the current
ongoings I cannot help but believe there are bigger shifts going on.

Personally I've noticed that there has been a lot of "heat" on the RPD
list off late, and whilst I have my opinions on these matters, some more
balanced than others, the resignations for me is a signalling factor,
and I for one would like to understand the factors more precisely for
the resignations.

I'll withhold further views on these matters (for the moment at least)
as I'd prefer to not let my own bias influence others (but even just
raising the question may have already done that).

Kind Regards,
Jaco