[rpd] ratified policies - something missing so they are in the agenda of the board?

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com
Wed Feb 10 09:45:05 UTC 2021

Jodi,

See my responses inset:

On 2/10/21 10:26 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

> Hi Sunday,

> That’s why we need to see what the chairs have sent to the board and

> the template.

For transparency sake, and in a Cc ... Not because you will want to edit
or audit before it is sent.

> If the chairs didn’t used the template, but all the information that

> the PDP indicates, was already in the email sent to the board, then

> they chairs fulfilled his duty on this regard.

Correct!

> As I’ve already explained, I understand that the board, or AFRINIC, as

> an organization, want to have a uniform way to have the policies sent

> for ratification. That’s perfectly valid! However, that can’t impose

> the community (and the chairs are part of that), new “duties”, or

> alter the way they work according to the PDP.

If the Board make a request, and the WG Chairs and Staff have no problem
meeting the request, and the request does not vary the PDP ... I think
we need not fret about that.

> Otherwise, tomorrow, AFRINIC (or the board) can request something

> else, and the next day something else, and so on, and all that can be

> used (even if in good faith) to delay, or nullify the work of the

> community.

Let us not be pre-emptive here. Let us wait till tomorrow, and another
set of Co-Chairs, who will definitely chart their own course.

> It is not about micromanagement, there is a very simple way to get the

> same and not impose it to the chairs or community:

> 1. Chairs send the report by email (plain text should be fine).

> 2. Staff prepares the template.

> 3. If staff believes something is missing, ask the chairs know.

> I will add to that, that all those emails should be copied to the

> list, for transparency

Agreed, on the need for transparency.

> .

> (there are possible variations to this, but the point here is not to

> imposse anything to the chairs that is not already clearly defined in

> the PDP)

If the chairs choose to, why not? We once had a Co-chair produce a neat
summary of pending discussions in a clear and useful tabular form. Quite
appreciated. No one demanded it from subsequent Co-Chairs.

> This way the community is not enforced to any steps not depicted in

> the PDP, but the AFRINIC organization/board can self-manage as much as

> they wish.

> This is exactly what we got with the ToR of the AC, where the ToR is

> modifying the PDP without following the PDP. At least section 5 of the

> ToR are impossing steps and rules that aren’t part of the PDP and

> never have been incorporated by consensus in the PDP.

And with the Section 5 of the ToR, no one agreed that the Board is right.

So ... Let us be careful in being critical of everything.

Sunday.