[rpd] ratified policies - something missing so they are in the agenda of the board?

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com
Wed Feb 10 09:15:15 UTC 2021

Jordi,

Wait, Wait, wait:

*"I understand that the staff created a template, but it is not part of
the PDP, and that is a modification of the PDP, that we all know,
requires to be passed via a policy proposal".*

We are getting into unnecessary details. How can this be a violation the
PDP?

For the avoidance of doubt, the PDP states:

*“**3.4.4 Approval*

*The Working Group Chair(s) shall recommend the draft policy to the
AFRINIC Board of Directors for approval if it has the consensus of the
Policy Development Working Group. The recommendation shall include a
report of the discussions of the draft policy and feedback from the Last
Call. The draft policy shall be ratified by the AFRINIC Board of
Directors.”*

So, in there, you will see:

1. WG Chairs shall recommend ...
2. The recommendation shall include a report of discussions and
feedbacks from the last call.

What is the better way to do this, than having a template for
consistency and tracking? That is purely operational! That the Staff
developed and shared this with the WG Chairs, is all towards efficiency
and smooth operations.

I think we should focus more on goals and outcomes, instead of
micromanaging actions, such as insisting the WG chairs to first request
for approval from the PDWG that the want to email the Board.

We need not spoil the broth with too much cooking please.

Sunday.