[rpd] REPORT ON Appeal against the non-consensus determination on proposal AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT02 (RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space ? Draft 2).

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Feb 1 16:03:33 UTC 2021

Hi Elvis,

Ok, so I understand that you agree that RPKI is a good service and it is optional and should be provided by AFRINIC.

Then, the AS0 allows to add one add one more tool to the RPKI: The *optional* feature of "marking" in a trusted way, the resources that are on the hands of AFRINIC and not in the hands of resource holders.

Again, this is *optional*. You can decide to use RPKI and not use the AS0. So AFRINIC is not "injecting" anything into your routing stuff, which is the fundamental lie on what the objections are based.

The optional AS0 feature allows you, as a network operator, to automatically discard any prefix that AFRINIC has not allocated to a resource-holder, but criminals may be using for spam or other criminal activities.

You can do that by yourself using the AFRINIC databases, but it will not be using RPKI, so not signed, not trustable in the same degree and of course more complex, more time consuming, requires a higher effort and cost on your side for automating it.

So having the *choice* of using RPKI or RPKI+AS0 increases the "health" of your network.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet