[rpd] Statement from Legal Counsel

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com
Wed Dec 16 09:09:55 UTC 2020

Daniel and Marcus,

Gentlemen,

Please remove rpd at afrinic.net from your recipients list and continue
your exchanges back-stage. When you have consensus, go ahead and then
post in on rpd.

You two ... Have a great day, and well done for the good cooperative
work you are doing!

Sunday.

On 12/16/20 9:07 AM, Daniel Yakmut via RPD wrote:

> Dear Marcus,

> I have always understood you shortcomings therefore I wont waste time

> arguing back and forth with you. The PDP the Co-Chairs are not

> following, I suspect is the one defined by you or else I cannot see

> the non-compliance.

> For the first time you said something reasonable, I agree we cannot

> compromise standards and we need to hold each other accountable.

> However, I have never seen you doing that, because you rather reduce

> discussions to attacks and attempted intimidation as you just did with

> your last mail.

> Simply

> Daniel

> On 15/12/2020 7:45 pm, Marcus K. G. Adomey wrote:

>> Hi Daniel

>> I completely understood you and your confusions and diversions.

>> Note that nobody is castigating the cochairs. They serve at cochairs

>> as defined by the PDP.

>> You have consistently stated the most outrageous things about this

>> community and pointed fingers to members of this community every time

>> anyone attempt to caution the cochairs.

>> The cochairs not once but a number of times have failed to follow the

>> PDP unless members of the working group  constantly reminds them to

>> do so and when raised you now say hey xyz is castigating cochairs and

>> then level personal attacks making it all sour.

>> You need to stop and start accepting that holding each other to the

>> high standards is perfectly normal and accountability has nothing to

>> do with your endless personal attacks insinuation and division

>> talking points.

>> Marcus

>>> board.

>>> Why are the recommendations, including the reports prescribed by

>>> section 3.4.4, not published on this rpd for the sake of

>>> transparency and the  practices in the matter?

>>> Where did the resource transfer proposal version 5.0 come from?

>>> We seem to have abandoned the PDP and its key underlining

>>> principles.

>>> Regards

>>> --

>>> Arnaud

>>> Le mer. 9 déc. 2020 à 16:25, Ashok <ashok at afrinic.net

>>> <mailto:ashok at afrinic.net>> a écrit :

>>> *Dear Community members,*

>>> *I refer to AFRINIC’s Chief Executive Officer’s emails dated

>>> 30 November 2020 and 03 December 2020 sent to the PDWG’s

>>> Co-Chairs to which I was in copy thereof. Copies of the said

>>> emails are also herewith attached.*

>>> *As AFRINIC’s Legal Counsel I wish first to draw your

>>> attention to the PDWG’s Co-Chairs’ declaration of consensus

>>> dated 07 October 2020 in respect of the policy entitled

>>> /'Board's Prerogatives'/ – AFPUB-2020-GEN-004-DRAFT02- as

>>> well as the policy entitled /'Resource Transfer Policy'/

>>> –AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT04- whereby in the latter case,

>>> consensus was initially declared on 07 October 2020 and

>>> which was subsequently reversed by the Co-Chairs on 17

>>> October 2020.*

>>> *I hold no mandate to interfere in the work of the PDWG

>>> and/or its independence I shall refrain from doing so.*

>>> *Nevertheless, I deem it my duty to tender my advice, for

>>> whatever it is worth and without in any way pressurising,

>>> the PDWG, an AFRINIC-related body to be bound by same.*

>>> *My advice addresses the aforementioned two policy proposals

>>> and my purpose is to ensure that the work of the PDWG

>>> thereon as well as its outcome are both legally in order. I

>>> have given anxious consideration to this matter and also

>>> bear in mind that where the acts and doings of the PDWG are

>>> not legally in order, same may have a detrimental effect on

>>> the image and reputation of AFRINIC both as a corporate body

>>> and responsible RIR. *

>>> *In regard to the policy entitled /'Board's Prerogatives'/,

>>> I have taken note of AFRINIC's Staff Assessment report dated

>>> 04 November 2020 -

>>> **https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2020-gen-004-d2#impact

>>> <https://afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2020-gen-004-d2#impact>**.

>>> *

>>> *You may have noticed that the said report has raised both

>>> serious governance and operational issues as well as areas

>>> of uncertainty observed in the proposed policy which has, up

>>> to now, remained unaddressed. *

>>> *Consequently, it is my humble view that the PDWG may in its

>>> wisdom consider to review its own stand in respect of these

>>> policy proposals so as to avoid any form of encroachment,

>>> potential or otherwise, onto the Board of Director’s

>>> prerogatives, the foundations of which are grounded in

>>> articles 3.4 and 15 of the AFRINIC’s bylaws. *

>>> *However, should the PDWG maintain its stand in respect of

>>> the above, then the appropriate motion has to be made during

>>> an AGMM, pursuant to Article 7.7 of the bylaws to amend

>>> articles 3.4, 15(1), 15(2) and 15(3) of the bylaws thus

>>> allowing the powers of the Board of Directors to be

>>> subjected to the directives and guidance of the PDWG.*

>>> *As regard the policy entitled /'Resource Transfer Policy'/,

>>> the PDWG may be aware that the said policy (i.e. version 4

>>> thereof) is presentlythe subject of an appeal before the

>>> Appeal Committee and the matter is yet to be determined. *

>>> *Consequently, the PDWG is hereby informed and advised that

>>> it is a matter of sound and settled legal principle that,

>>> pending the outcome of the Appeal Committee proceedings, it

>>> (PDWG) refrains from entertaining any request emanating from

>>> the relevant co-authors of the said policy proposals for

>>> further amending these proposals on the legal principle of

>>> /pendente lite/. It is also my considered view that any

>>> attempt in the meantime by the latter to submit a newly

>>> purported version of their policy proposal will be

>>> inadmissible (non-receivable) in law. *