[rpd] Community Feedback

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Thu Dec 3 12:51:25 UTC 2020

Hi Lucilla,

1.  I personally never asked any author to withdraw anything.
2.  I believe the current wording is perfectly clear; as such:
3.  Could you please clarify - by way of reference to the CPM text -
clarify what doubts (uncertainty, ambiguity) do you read in the text as
it's written?

4.  I did state my support that I don't see an emergency here and that
both the proposal and the recall process should follow the existing
established processes.

Kind Regards,
Jaco

On 2020/12/03 14:07, lucilla fornaro wrote:

> [...]

> Kind Regards,

> Jaco

> On 2020/12/02 15:22, lucilla fornaro wrote:

>> Dear Community,

>> Section 3.6 of the CPM says: “The process outlined in this

>> document may vary in the case of an emergency. Variance is for

>> use when a one-time waiving of some provision of this document is

>> required”.

>> The author should not withdraw this important proposal for two

>> reasons: firstly, it is valuable, and secondly, if not approved

>> it will automatically expire.

>> I believe this is exactly the moment for the chairs to change the

>> process of the PDP, considering that we do find in the case of an

>> emergency.

>> Regards Lucilla

>> Il giorno mer 2 dic 2020 alle ore 21:48 Ibeanusi Elvis

>> <ibeanusielvis at gmail.com <mailto:ibeanusielvis at gmail.com>> ha

>> scritto:

>> Dear community,

>> Adding to the ongoing discussion on this mailing list,

>> besides the fact that this Request to Recall the PDWG

>> Co-Chairs is based on personal grievances with the co-chairs

>> and emotions, I don’t see a form of fast tracking this

>> ongoing recall process and like the co-chairs stated, the

>> so-called "promotion or fast-track” is of no benefit to them.

>> They (the co-chairs) just performed their administrative

>> function and in the principle of fairness, openness, and

>> transparency, brought it forward to the RPD community for

>> discussion. Likewise, the personal attack needs to stop,

>> saying that the co-chairs are imitating the behavior of an

>> “AFRICAN DICTATOR” whom wants to do everything they can to

>> stay in power including adjusting the country’s constitution

>> went too far and very disrespectful and an insult to their

>> integrity and personality. Also, a disregard to the long

>> hours and dedication that they have put into the service of

>> this AFRINIC organization.

>> Similarly, proposing a withdrawal of a draft policy proposal

>> is not functional as the CPM 3.4.1 elucidates that first,

>> "During the development of policy, draft versions of the

>> document are made available for review and comment by

>> publishing them on the AFRINIC website and posting them to

>> the rpd at afrinic.net <mailto:rpd at afrinic.net> mailing

>> list.”  which is currently happening. Also, the same CPM

>> 3.4.1 states that "A draft policy expires after one calendar

>> year unless it is approved by the AFRINIC Board of Directors

>> as a policy. Hence, the idea of suggesting a withdrawal

>> should end as well as the personal attacks. If you have an

>> personal issues or grievances with the co-chairs, find a way

>> to settle it with them.

>> Regards,

>> Elvis.

>>> I'm a stickler to rules and procedures and not interested or

>>> have a vested interest. Therefore consider my notes below as

>>> advisory to guide your decision as I do not want to argue

>>> for it against.

>>> Aside from providing a context you have given in your

>>> earlier email, I must call your attention to this Latin

>>> word  *“no one should be a judge in their own cause”*. It is

>>> one of the cardinal rules of natural justice that no one

>>> should act as a judge a case in which they have a personal

>>> (vested) interest.

>>> Secondly, I wish to refer you to section 3.41. and  3.4.2.

>>> of the CPM as posted below before you invoke sections 3.6

>>> which has lots of ambiguity which I have noted in my several

>>> correspondence on this mailing list. There  is legal

>>> standing of a section of a law or CMP needs to stand as

>>> procedures.

>>> Let me try to clarify with a little LAW 101 classroom

>>> explanation based on the principle of antecedent law.  This

>>> simply means *the Nature and Evolution of the Rules of

>>> Procedure and Evidence. is a doctrine of interpretation

>>> where a court  interprets a qualifying clause to refer to

>>> the immediately preceding words or phrases.*

>>> In the light of the above, you must first satisfy the

>>> following in this order BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CONCENSUS DECISION :

>>> 1: Publish on the website which has not been done or

>>> referred to in your email (See CMP section 3.4.1 for advice

>>> as seen below)

>>> 2.  The draft policy shall be available for review for at

>>> least four weeks before the next Public Policy Meeting.

>>> 3: */CONDITIONAL Statement but best practice before any

>>> meeting or consensus decision is made: /*The Working Group

>>> Chair(s) may request AFRINIC to provide an analysis

>>> (technical, financial, legal or other), of the impact of the

>>> draft policy proposal.

>>> 4.  Each policy proposals must be place on an agenda for a

>>> PUBLIC MEETING. (This section must be satisfied before you

>>> proceed to interpret section 3.6)

>>> 5.  The agenda of the meeting shall be announced on the

>>> Resource Policy Discussion mailing list at least two weeks

>>> prior to the meeting. (Are we having another PPM before the

>>> end of this year?)

>>> Please note that my comments are observations and advisory

>>> to enrich out understanding of the CPM and it's interpretation.

>>> Regards

>>> Caleb Ogundele

>>> Extract of CPM Referenced

>>> =============================================================================

>>> 3.4.1 Draft Policy Proposal

>>> During the development of policy, draft versions of the

>>> document are made available for review and comment by

>>> publishing them on the AFRINIC website and posting them to

>>> Each draft policy is assigned a unique identifier by AFRINIC

>>> and the AFRINIC website shall also contain the version

>>> history and the status of all proposals.

>>> The draft policy shall be available for review for at least

>>> four weeks before the next Public Policy Meeting. The

>>> author(s) shall make the necessary changes to the draft

>>> policy according to the feedback received. The Working Group

>>> Chair(s) may request AFRINIC to provide an analysis

>>> (technical, financial, legal or other), of the impact of the

>>> draft policy proposal.

>>> 3.4.2 Public Policy Meeting

>>> The draft policy is placed on the agenda of an open public

>>> policy meeting. The agenda of the meeting shall be announced

>>> on the Resource Policy Discussion mailing list at least two

>>> weeks prior to the meeting. No change can be made to a draft

>>> policy within one week of the meeting. This is so that a

>>> stable version of the draft policy can be considered at the

>>> meeting.