[rpd] Appeal against the consensus determination on proposal AFPUB-2019-V4-003-DRAFT04 (Resource Transfer Policy)

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Wed Oct 21 15:56:11 UTC 2020

Hi Ekaterina,

On 2020/10/21 17:25, Ekaterina Kalugina wrote:

> Dear Alain,

> First of all, you say that the changes made by the authors during the

> last call are not editorial changes and therefore cannot be accepted

> as per the PDP. Yet nowhere in the CPM this is stated explicitly.

Neither are any changes of any nature explicitly permitted either, and
the intent of the CPM based on my reading and understanding thereof is
that last call is for review only.  So if you want to nitpick, then no
changes should be permitted.  emphasis below added.  Nowhere is changes
permitted here.

3.4.3 Last Call

A *final review of the draft policy* is initiated by the Working Group
Chair(s) by sending an announcement to the Resource Policy Discussion
mailing list. The Last Call period shall be at least two weeks. The
Working Group Chair(s) shall evaluate the feedback received during the
Public Policy Meeting and during this period and decide whether
consensus has been achieved.

But before that, let's take a step back:

3.4.2 Public Policy Meeting

The draft policy is placed on the agenda of an open public policy
meeting. The agenda of the meeting shall be announced on the Resource
Policy Discussion mailing list at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
*No change can be made to a draft policy within one week of the meeting.
This is so that a stable version of the draft policy can be considered
at the meeting.* The Chair(s) determine(s) whether rough consensus has
been achieved during the Public Policy Meeting.

The Chair(s) shall publish the minutes of proceedings of the Public
Policy Meeting not later than three weeks after the meeting.

So, if we take that further, the DRAFT POLICY as discussed at the PPM is
the one that goes to LAST CALL.  Not with any changes after that.

> In this appeal you also stated that the need for some policy arose as

> early as 2015. The solution to this problem has been dragged out for

> over 5 years and now that we have a functional proposal you are coming

> up with excuses that are insignificant in the context of the need of

> this policy.

functional is still under dispute, so please refrain from such statements.

> The changes done to the Resource Transfer Policy technically do not

> violate the CPM, as the text does not state that only editorial

> changes are allowed. In addition, nowhere in the CPM it states that

> the chairs are not allowed to propose changes that reflect the

> concerns of the community. In fact, it is their job to reflect all

> such issues in the summary. All the changes made to this policy were

> to make sure the policy is fully compatible with other RIRs.

In fact, based on my reading of the CPM, *no changes* are allowed from
at least 1 week *before* the PPM.

Kind Regards,
Jaco