[rpd] Reversal of Consensus on Resource Transfer Policy

Joshua J. Onuh jjamesonuh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:12:59 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Reading through all the mails, tbh it makes no sense for we to be arguing
over irrelevant issues when we should be considering the policies at hand.
I don't think everyone needs to know me to consider my points as valid in
any discourse beside the content.
In the past someone raised it here that there is a divide between the
francophone and anglophone countries, I think that is TRUE and not GOOD if
we are to move ahead so please, let's put our differences aside and work
together to achieve a common goal.

Regards

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 at 11:18, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> [...]

> Why does your email below sound like someone else writing.

> *./noah*

> neo - network engineering and operations

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM Ekaterina Kalugina <kay.k.prof at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> Dear all,

>> First of all, I do not think attacking each other would not lead

>> anywhere. Can we please stop focusing on trying to twist each other's words

>> and hurt each other's feelings and focus on the matter at hand instead? In

>> my opinion, there was no malicious intent behind either Fernando's or

>> Lucilla's or Lamiia's words.

>> I also think it is unfair to discard the arguments of all the parties you

>> do not agree with as "echo chambers." Some of us share certain views, some

>> of us don't - that is simply the nature of an argument.

>> In addition, there is nothing wrong with replying to an email addressed

>> to someone else. This is an open forum and everyone is free to reply and

>> comment on everybody else's posts. I've also gotten replies from people who

>> I was not arguing with initially and I did not see a problem with that.

>> An open forum also means that anyone is free to participate from any

>> email address. I, for one, also do not want my official university email to

>> be flooded, so I opted out to create a separate address for my

>> participation in the rpd.

>> Now let us please take a step back and look at the facts of the matter.

>> The first fact is that making changes to the policy during the last call

>> is not prohibited by the CPM. And it is in the spirit of the law to make

>> the necessary changes during the last call.

>> The second fact is that the last call was extended as per the request of

>> the community. Here is one such example:

>> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2020/011634.html

>> Thirdly, the fact that the policy addresses "almost all" concerns does

>> not disqualify it from being on the last call. The policy is moved onto the

>> last call when a rough consensus is achieved. And rough consensus does not

>> imply that everyone must agree. It means that there should be a sense of

>> general agreement as per the determination of the chairs. Which we had.

>> Then the policy is moved to the last call where it is then edited so

>> that a proper consensus could be achieved. Since this have proved to be

>> tenuous journey, it only makes sense that the chairs have extended the last

>> call to make sure that all of the issues were properly addressed.

>> And this is what we should focus on: let us try to find a compromise on

>> this issue that can satisfy all of us as much as possible. Let us discuss

>> the policy in question, raise all the concerns that still remain and try

>> to find the best solution for the region

>> Best,

>> Ekaterina

>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020, 09:28 Daniel Yakmut via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

>>> I use Gmail, because i don't want to clog my official mailbox with

>>> irrelevances. However, I can't be label suspect.

>>> If you do not know the person, and is of interest to you then make

>>> effort to reach out to the person. Note, there maybe ghost IDs.

>>> On 19/10/2020 7:58 am, Mark Elkins wrote:

>>> Mike, I agree with your summary. I'd also add that people who use gmail

>>> addresses also add a little suspicion unless I actually know them.

>>> On 2020/10/19 08:36, Mike Silber wrote:

>>> Amazing that my mail to “Lamiaa” is answered by “Lucilla” (with a quick

>>> response by “Gabi”).

>>> This is a response to the list, as I see little point in responding to

>>> an identity whose provenance and identity is still uncertain.

>>> I relish different opinions. For example - my friend Noah and I disagree

>>> on many things. However:

>>> - I have met him;

>>> - I have been on calls with him;

>>> - I know what networks he operates;

>>> - I know his technical background and experience.

>>> So when we disagree, I have to afford him the respect he deserves

>>> because I have data. I either understand his perspective (even though I

>>> think it may be wrong) or at least I understand his motivations.

>>> Through it all - he has worked to earn the respect of all of us by his

>>> commitment to the community and the process.

>>> However, with you and your echo chamber and despite the cutesy

>>> introductions when I first raised my concern - I have never met you, never

>>> been on a call with you, don’t know what network you operate or your

>>> technical expertise. I don’t have any inclination of your perspective or

>>> motivation.

>>> As such, it seems that your (collective) motivation is to manipulate the

>>> process towards a particular objective.

>>> This is not the first time the mailing list has been manipulated and I

>>> am sure it won’t be the last. Some people I call (or used to call) friends

>>> have used sock puppets to manipulate process and spew hatred.

>>> I am calling it out here because I think we have a problem that we have

>>> just swept under the rug before - we allow identities without confirmation

>>> to participate.

>>> For example - ICANN working groups have developed a “statement of

>>> interest” requirement for participation that tries to filter sock puppets

>>> and force disclosure of interest.

>>> I think that the situation in the PDP has become so toxic that a similar

>>> requirement may be necessary.

>>> Mike