[rpd] End of Last call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Oct 19 09:14:30 UTC 2020

(I’m sorry to be so late to the party … I’m with a customer project and a bit overbooked for a few days. I just want to make sure to reply to this one by now, I will read the rest and response if needed in the next few days)

Hi Ekaterina,

I’m not sure how much you have participated or contributed to the IETF, but you’re making a big mistake here, like comparing apples to grapes.

The IETF process *only* takes the decisions in the list (emails), *not* in the meetings.
As a consequence, *of course* the changes *can’t* be done during the meeting, but via a *new version* published in the IETF repository.
Only changes *published* in the repository are going to a new round of discussion, in order to reach consensus.
Only editorial changes (and as editorial it is only accepted grammar, clarifications, spelling – nothing else) *agreed* during the last call, are acceptable.
In the IETF there are *further* steps. One of them is the AD (Area Director) or designated document shepherd, which will ensure that the process has been followed. Then the document can go for the last call. After the last call, it goes to the IESG. The IESG could be assimilated to the AFRINIC board, in some sense. The IESG will review the document and can bring it back to the WG. In this case the IESG is not only responsible for ensuring that the document is good, but is also technically correct (which is not the case for the AFRINIC board, but they could not ratify a document if the process has not been followed or it is against the membership).

So yes, we use the rough consensus definition as per the IETF but *not* the same process, so you can’t make a confusion about both of them.

Only the RIRs that in the PDP have an explicit allowance for editorial changes allow them (which is not the case for AFRINIC), and again is only editorial, not changes to accommodate what was decided in the meeting if they are beyond “editorial”.

I’m talking about this based on real experience in all the 5 RIRs and the IETF. I’ve got a few hundreds of documents going to the last call among all the RIRs and IETF and have been in all the possible situations, including editorial changes and changes that for me, as the author, were editorial and the relevant WG chairs decided not being editorial and needed to go for a new version following all the process.

I may be wrong, but based in my experience, I think I’ve a sufficiently deep knowledge of what I’m talking about.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet