[rpd] Transfer Policy Proposal v.3.docx

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Fri Oct 9 17:50:20 UTC 2020

Hi Noah,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

What I can say from experience is that very few buyers care about legacy status because of these facts:

1. It is only possible to retain legacy status through RIPE registration, which may not be desirable.
2. You can’t use RPKI and that’s going to become a dealbreaker.
3. You still have to demonstrate a need for the addresses, and that rules out speculators.
4. In RIPE, LIRs do not pay more for more resources, so any LIR receiving legacy space won’t be saving money.

The issue of provision of services to legacy holders is a long and fraught issue. Trying to solve that issue in the context of a last-call inter-regional transfer proposal is out of scope. There are other headaches for legacy holders regarding rDNS delegation and provision by the registry, and the ability to sub-allocate freely.

The general legacy issue was not solved at other registries in the context of their inter-regional policies, so why must AFRINIC table this important policy until it is solved?

Nobody has demonstrated the danger of retaining the language in the proposal, beyond the potential that AFRINIC may end up providing services to legacy holders to the detriment of dues-paying members. Thanks in advance for providing the data on that, but even knowing that number hasn’t solved the problem in any other registry that retains legacy status, so I’m not really sure what value it would provide.

My guess is that the reductions in fees to the AFRINIC organization would be few, but the discussion would once again be led astray into a dues and fees discussion.

Regards,
Mike