[rpd] Transfer Policy

Ekaterina Kalugina kay.k.prof at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 23:04:25 UTC 2020

Dear Darwin,

First of all there IS a certain sense of urgency in regards to the
implementation of this policy for the simple reason that we do not know
exactly when the AFRINIC resource pool will be exhausted. It might be a
matter of months, it might be a matter of weeks. We simply cannot know.

The situation is being increasingly uncertain because of COVID, as most of
business operation is moving online at an unprecedented speed. Making sure
that there is enough IP resources right now is more important than ever
before.

Secondly, having an open and flexible transfer policy is essential to
helping the business development in the region. As I mentioned above, this
is extremely important right now. Not being able to provide enough
resources on time may not only be detrimental to businesses, but to
millions of people who rely on these businesses for survival in these tough
times.

In addition, free flow of resources in general is the necessary
prerequisite for a well functioning free market that would stimulate the
economic development of the region.

Passing this policy is an equivalent of having a safety net before taking a
leap, instead of jumping blindly and hoping to survive the fall.

Now dear Fernando,

Let us please stop trying to undermine the work of the co-chairs and the
working group.
The policy meeting took place.
Rough consensus was declared.
The policy was then passed into the last call where is it currently
undergoing editorial changes. All of this was done according to the PDP.

If, in your personal opinion, there are still issues with this policy that
need to be resolved, you are free to propose a new policy amending this one
before the next PPM. But until that time this policy is our best bet in
securing a stable future for the region at a time when not having enough
internet resources could be a matter of life and death for certain
communities.

Best,

Ekaterina