[rpd] Revised Proposal | Chairs Elections Process (Draft-2)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 4 04:20:11 UTC 2020

> On Sep 9, 2020, at 1:23 PM, John Ngwoke <john.ngwoke at unn.edu.ng> wrote:

> The proposal is good, however, the word in the second paragraph, "The term ends during the first Public Policy Meeting corresponding to the end of the term for which they were appointed." for me, this could mean that the term ends during the meeting, that is while the meeting is still going on. which can be immediately the meeting starts or when the meeting has gone halfway or even at the tail point of the meeting. So, it needs to be more clear.

> I think that this "A term may begin or end no sooner than the first day of the Public Policy Meeting and no later than the last day of the Public Policy Meeting as determined by the mutual agreement of the current Chair and the new Chair. " contradicts the earlier statement which clearly states when the term ends.

The second statement which you refer to as contradictory does not contradict the first, but, rather provides the clarification you are asking for. It clarifies that within the bounds set by the first statement (beginning to end of meeting), the new co-chair and outgoing co-chair can transfer the duties at any point within those bounds by mutual agreement.

It fails to describe what happens in case such an agreement cannot be reached, but I think the obvious default would be for the transition to take place at the close of the meeting if it has not been agreed prior to that.