[rpd] Abuse Contact Policy

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Sat Sep 19 11:19:08 UTC 2020

The only people complaining about this policy should be the Resource
Members of AFRINIC. To be clear, I am a Resource Member (of AFRINIC) and
I agree with the policy. There is currently a voluntary option to add an
abuse contact. I personally believe it should be renamed to "abuse-c"
(so it looks more obvious and similar to the other contacts for an ASN
or IP allocation/assignment) and should be mandatory. I'd also like a
bulk way to have this added if possible - because I'm lazy and like many
others, have multiple allocations/assignments.  Then - if one of my
allocations/assignments causes a problem to someone in the world - they
can easily find my abuse support address to complain to. This really
should be a no-brainer.

On 2020/09/19 10:59, Frank Habicht wrote:

> [...]

>> Afrinic means for abuse,

> AfriNIC doesn't mean anything about "abuse".

> AfriNIC, I believe, doesn't have a policy about what "abuse" is.

> It is *NOT* for AfriNIC to decide that.

> Network operators are capable of doing that.

> Network operators are willing to do that.

> If others - including participants on this list - are not able to define

> what abuse is, that fact is irrelevant [1].

> Because this policy is for the benefits of network operators.

> And this policy affects AfriNIC Resource Members.

> Participants on this mailing list are not required to be network

> operators, nor are they required to be AfriNIC Resource Members.

> Everybody is welcome.

> But when it comes to discussing about the subject of this policy (which

> is *abuse contacts*), it seems to be beneficial to understand some

> distinctions.

>> the reports will be too many, often

>> unreasonable, with a consequent waste of time and resources.

> so-called "Waste of resources" :

> a) not on the part of AfriNIC

> b) not on the part of network operators ignoring abuse complaints

> c) possibly on the part of network operators filing abuse complaints

> [who do understand that there is an unfortunately high chance of

> getting ignored]

> d) not on the part of recipients of abuse complaints who appreciate the

> information in the complaints and are willing to

> i) communicate with the complaintant

> ii) clean up their network or customers, thus

> iii) improving their own security and posture (housekeeping)

> So, for those who want to be able to get abuse complaints, and for those

> who want to "waste their time" with writing these abuse complaints, can

> we pass this policy so that AfriNIC can enforce resource holders to

> publish the abuse contacts....

> ..... without AfriNIC knowing or defining what constitutes abuse.

>> In an ideal

>> world, the proposal would be efficient the way it is. But we do not live

>> in an ideal world.

> Is it an improvement? progress in the right direction?

>> If we want it to be effective in the long run, it is

>> necessary to make adjustments.

> disagree.

> Also: you "forgot" to suggest the improvements here.

> I wonder why.

> I request the chairs to agree that supporters of the policy have shown

> that a definition of "abuse" is not needed and continued calls for that

> are not relevant.

> Regards,

> Frank

> [1]

> sorry, for the strong language of "irrelevant", but I think I better

> make the thoughts very clear

>> Lucilla

>>> Il giorno ven 18 set 2020 alle ore 21:43 Fernando Frediani

>> <fhfrediani at gmail.com <mailto:fhfrediani at gmail.com>> ha scritto:

>> On 18/09/2020 05:22, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD wrote:

>>> __ __

>>> Again, this is not about defining what is abuse, this is among the

>>> parties. It is about making sure that there is a valid responsible

>>> contact in case of anyone needs to report what he considers an

>>> abuse. AFRINIC will not punish anyone that believes that his

>>> customer is not doing an abuse because in his country is not an abuse.

>> Exactly !

>> Often people are misunderstanding the intention of the proposals and

>> opposing them for reasons that are not written on them, which end up

>> causing more confusion to other people.

>> I support this proposal

>> Fernando

>>> ____

>>> __ __

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> @jordipalet____

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> El 18/9/20 9:59, "Lamiaa Chnayti" <lamiaachnayti at gmail.com

>>> <mailto:lamiaachnayti at gmail.com>> escribió:____

>>> __ __

>>> Hello Jordi,____

>>> __ __

>>> RFC2142 only defines a tiny portion of the network abuse. In real

>>> world operation, abuse consists of a  much boarder range :

>>> DMCA(copy rights) claims, unsolicited emails , phishing  websites

>>> , trade mark disputes etc. ____

>>> __ __

>>> All those are legal issues that vary vastly across different

>>> juridictions in which no one but each of the juridiction’s judges

>>> can decide if it is an abuse or an illegal activity. Claiming that

>>> RFC2142 defines not even 1% of real world abuse is laughable.____

>>> __ __

>>> Regards,____

>>> __ __

>>> Lamiaa____

>>> __ __

>>> Le jeu. 17 sept. 2020 à 15:51, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD

>>> around.____

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> Hello,____

>>>  ____

>>> I will have to agree with Lucilla on what she said and would

>>> like to add to it that :____

>>> Firstly, Abuse enforcement is out of scope for RIRs.____

>>> Secondly, RIRs have no ability to define what is “abuse”, one

>>> abuse or even criminal activity could be entirely a legal

>>> operation in a different jurisdiction.____

>>> Finally, making a member forcefully reply to abuse contact

>>> Emails are a waste of resources and totally pointless, it is

>>> entirely up to the member to define what they think is

>>> acceptable in their network operation and how they react to

>>> it. AFRINIC has no mandate to force any member to reply to an

>>> operation.____

>>> Regards,____

>>> Lamiaa____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>>  ____

>>> Le jeu. 17 sept. 2020 à 07:42, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD

>>> goodfaith.____

>>> contacts. We are not fulfilling that in this situation.____

>>>  ____

>>> Remember that **all** the other RIRs have already this

>>> kind of policy. This one is like the one that has been

>>> implemented in APNIC, and the accuracy of the contacts is

>>> now 87.5% as reported this month in the last APNIC

>>> meeting. In that report **none** of the members indicated

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> Lucilla ____

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com/>

>>> The IPv6 Company

>>> This electronic message contains information which may be

>>> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to

>>> be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above

>>> and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information,

>>> even if partially, including attached files, is strictly

>>> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If

>>> you are not the intended recipient be aware that any

>>> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents

>>> of this information, even if partially, including attached

>>> files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a

>>> criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender

>>> to inform about this communication and delete it.____

>>> RPD mailing list

>>> RPD at afrinic.net <mailto:RPD at afrinic.net>

>>> IPv4 is over

>>> Are you ready for the new Internet ?

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com/>

>>> The IPv6 Company

>>> This electronic message contains information which may be

>>> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be

>>> for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and

>>> further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information, even

>>> if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited

>>> and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the

>>> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information, even

>>> if partially, including attached files, is strictly

>>> prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must

>>> reply to the original sender to inform about this

>>> communication and delete it.

>>> ____

>>> RPD mailing list

>>> RPD at afrinic.net <mailto:RPD at afrinic.net>

>>> __ __

>>> __ __

>>> Le jeu. 17 sept. 2020 à 15:49, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> Hello,____

>>> Regards,____

>>> Lamiaa____

>>> Regards,____

>>> Jordi____

>>> Lucilla ____

>>> IPv4 is over

>>> Are you ready for the new Internet ?

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com>

>>> The IPv6 Company

>>> This electronic message contains information which may be

>>> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to

>>> be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above

>>> and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information,

>>> even if partially, including attached files, is strictly

>>> prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If

>>> you are not the intended recipient be aware that any

>>> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents

>>> of this information, even if partially, including attached

>>> files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a

>>> criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender

>>> to inform about this communication and delete it.____

>>> RPD mailing list

>>> RPD at afrinic.net <mailto:RPD at afrinic.net>

>>> IPv4 is over

>>> Are you ready for the new Internet ?

>>> http://www.theipv6company.com <http://www.theipv6company.com>

>>> The IPv6 Company

>>> This electronic message contains information which may be

>>> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be

>>> for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above and

>>> further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information, even

>>> if partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited

>>> and will be considered a criminal offense. If you are not the

>>> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,

>>> distribution or use of the contents of this information, even

>>> if partially, including attached files, is strictly

>>> prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must

>>> reply to the original sender to inform about this

>>> communication and delete it.

>>> ____

>>> RPD mailing list

>>> RPD at afrinic.net <mailto:RPD at afrinic.net>