[rpd] RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space AFPUB-2019-GEN-006-DRAFT02

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Sep 17 17:30:22 UTC 2020

On 17 Sep 2020, at 12:10, Topsy Bello via RPD wrote:

> Hello

> the current state of the RPKI infrastructure does not provide a

> sufficient  period between revocation of ROA and notification that a

> given prefix has been allocated to an organisation which can have a

> huge effect on the allocation, i therefore do not agree with this

> policy

please provide the data, to support your spurious claim.

fwiw, i *have* tested revocation propagation times earlier this year.
we even found a bug with the RPKI system, for ROAs that had expiry dates
set after 2050 (hi amreesh! :-)). my measurement time, between
revocation of the offensive ROA, (funnily enough, it was an AS0 ROA) and
the time that my nine relying party caches spread across south africa,
mauritius, zimbabwe and tanzania updated, was well less than twenty
minutes at worst. in fact, 8/9 of them, refreshed accurately within 600
seconds (10minutes) which is the rfc8210 default. i could probably have
made that shorter, but i am too lazy to change default settings.

feel free to replicate, and let us know what your data reveals. until
then i am sure you will understand why we treat your assertion as
specious.
it is easy to make up FUD; it is not so easy to back that up, with
data.

-n.