[rpd] coming together to a solution to the Inter-RIR problem

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Sep 17 12:58:49 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I just want to make sure that what I said in the open mic is clear and we can find a way forward.

The importance of the IPv4 Inter-RIR problem is giant for the evolution of the region and the implementation of IPv6.

As the staff confirmed, any Inter-RIR proposal will take 1 year to implement, the complexity is due to the need to coordinate with the systems of the other RIRs.

I think it is also clear that we need to make sure that our policy is reciprocal with all the other RIRs if we really want to be useful.

Considering that, and now that the chairs have declared that there is NO-consensus in any proposal, my suggestion for the way forwards is:

1) The staff should discuss with the other RIRs and confirm reciprocity with each of the proposals (deadline by mid-October)
They key points are:
a) Will a "legacy only outgoing" be accepted as reciprocal?
b) Will a "Transferred IPv4 legacy resources will no longer be regarded as legacy resources" will be accepted as reciprocal?

2) The chairs to facilitate consensus among authors into a single version, as much as possible, with the different authors and to publish a new version following the discussion in the list and with the issues raised during this meeting (by end of October). This give us time to have one more version based in the list discussion.

3) Ask the board to call for a new online PDP by December as latest, if needed only for the Inter-RIR problem, so we can reach consensus at last.

4) Otherwise the board should make a policy (following the by-laws process), so the implementation *starts now* and time doesn't run against the community and bring it to the next policy meeting. Then if the community doesn't endorse the proposal, nothing happens, because it has not started to work (the implementation takes 1 year!) so we have time to cancel it or amend it.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

IPv4 is over