[rpd] Abuse Contact Policy

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Sep 17 06:41:44 UTC 2020

Hi Lucilla,

Today we already have mnt-IRT, and everybody who operate networks understand what it is an abuse. If you operate networks you know that *anything* which is a non-authorized use of a network is an abuse.

If you send spam, attack networks, try to intrude networks, etc., all those are abuse.

What the policy ask is to make sure that in AFRINIC everybody has an abuse contact (today we have mnt-IRT, but is not mandatory, and as a results many African networks are filtered because lack of that – and consequently they do not respond to abuse cases -, which exist in all the other regions of the world).

Not having an abuse means more chances of legal actions, more cost, for both the victims and the ISPs. Having that means that you have more chances to resolve it in goodfaith.

One of the *most important* Afrinic missions is to have accuracy on the database, which includes accuracy on the contacts. We are not fulfilling that in this situation.

Remember that *all* the other RIRs have already this kind of policy. This one is like the one that has been implemented in APNIC, and the accuracy of the contacts is now 87.5% as reported this month in the last APNIC meeting. In that report *none* of the members indicated any of the issues that you indicated (didn't happened as well in the other regions).

You know who is interested in not having abuse contacts? Those that use their networks for doing abuse (hijacking, spam, DoS, intrusions, etc.).

Can you explain if the network that you operate has an abuse contact an how if one of your customes is trying to penetrate my network or do a DoS, I will be able to contact you and if you will do anything or just ignore it?

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet