[rpd] KICKED OUT OF MICROPHONE QUEUE!

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Sep 16 20:10:34 UTC 2020

Hi Emem,

I don’t know the reasons for that, not sure if they were technical reasons and if you have participated last week in the time that was allocated for the community in order to make sure that your mic and network is tested in advance. That usually resolves all the issues. We use this tool for IETF meetings and we always do that up front for new users to make sure they get it right.

Of course, I fully sympathize with the issue, but I think we all need to realize that the time is limited, as in the in-person meetings, and it is really difficult to manage. This is also the reason I tried to be short in my presentations, despite my belief that it endangers the understanding of the participants of the proposal and I’ve tried to make extensive use of the chat, instead of microphone for other proposals.

That said, I’m profoundly dissatisfied with this remote meeting in the sense of the time allocated to the policy meeting and this is probably some very wrong decision by the staff, board or whatever. Let me explain.

In the face to face meetings, it is understandable that we need to limit the time to the policy sessions, and even do, we allocate about 1 hour for each proposal. This allows a better presentation and *more* people participating in the mic and remotely.

Instead, in the on-line meeting we got only 30 minutes. How come? There is no sense to hold the meeting only in the morning, we could have provided at least 45 minutes to each proposal even if we need to use 2 hours in the afternoon. We are almost in the same time zone, so should not be a big issue.

On the other way around, look the surprise for the policy authors, when yesterday, in the last minute, we were told that we will have 4 minutes only for each presentation. No way! I immediately reacted to that and I was very clear: that was against the full purpose of the meeting and it is against the community, so in that case I will consider even not presenting at all.

Finally, we got 8 minutes, which is not optimal, but I hope it worked as much as possible.

Clearly, we should learn the lesson. If this is not corrected, the community should also work in micro-managing the meetings? I hope not, but if necessary, I will be happy to work with you and other folks in making a proposal to make sure that each proposal get enough time.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet