[rpd] Policy Proposal: PDP Working Group (WG) Guidelines and Procedures

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 13 03:44:51 UTC 2020

Yes, I have read the proposal.

I still think that allowing the remaining co-chair to single-handedly appoint the other co-chair is not a good idea. I realize that is not the intent of the proposal, but as written, the remaining co-chair can, in fact, declare consensus for a candidate regardless of actual consensus. Given the history of this being done regarding certain policy proposals in the AfriNIC region, I don’t think that’s an entirely unlikely situation.

I am not sure where this sudden desire to avoid having an actual election is coming from, but my considered opinion is that a fair and impartial election is still the best mechanism to apply here. I would not oppose a transition from simple raised hands to ranked choice voting if you feel that would be beneficial, but I think that’s a lot of overhead for what has traditionally been relatively simple and I suggest that there really is nothing wrong with a show of hands.