[rpd] New Proposal Received | Simple PDP Update for the new “Normal” (Draft-1)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Sep 11 09:24:18 UTC 2020

Hi Gaby,

In 3.4.1., already says that that DPP can be withdrawn at any time, so 3.4.2. don’t need to repeat that.

If you mean that the chairs should have the right to withdraw a proposal, I don’t think that's right neither needed.

If you follow the history of proposal in all the RIRs (not just in AFRINIC), wat happens when a proposal is not going thru, after a number of versions, is that it will be ignored by the community, so even if it is not withdrawn by authors, is not creating any problem. The community can even tell the authors “you should withdraw it”. At the end it gets abandoned.

Following the same history of proposals in a number of years, you will see that some proposals don’t reach consensus for some time, but it often happens that when they become discussed for longer, or even for completely new proposals on the same topic, the community finally reach consensus. Why this happens? Because the situation is different, there is more pressure for a solution, etc.

One clear example of this is the abuse-c proposal I mention in my previous email. It reached consensus on the 1st version in APNIC, but took 2-3 years in LACNIC, etc. Another example, Inter-RIR proposals in all the regions took much more time than any other proposals, and in the specific case of LACNIC, there were 3 *different* proposals, even from different sets of authors for many years, and all the where abandoned. However, a year ago I submitted a new proposal (I was not part of any of the previous ones) and it succeeded on the first meeting (I actually presented 2 proposals, to offer 2 alternatives, the same I did in AFRINIC). Was my proposal better? Most probably not, but it was the continued discussion AND specially the pressure to resolve the problem (so perfect timing) what allowed to reach consensus.

Regarding 3.4.3, the concept of last call is developed, in all the RIRs, after the same concept in IETF. If there is any objection (no need to understand if it is minor or major), not addressed by the authors (or other community members) a proposal can’t reach consensus. This can happen at any time during the discussion.

If this happens during the last call, because there is a new objection, that was not discovered during the earlier discussion, then if this objection is not addressed by the authors (or the community), clearly the chairs can’t keep declaring consensus.

So yes, a non-addressed objection, even in the last call, means the proposal goes back to discussion which of course requires a new version.

So, in my opinion, 3.4.3 is following what you mean. Maybe my clarification here resolved you doubts, or there is any editorial detail that we can improve to make it more obvious, but I keep reading that section and understand well the same intent that you expressed.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet