[rpd] Policy Compliance Dashboard - AFPUB-2020-GEN-001-DRAFT01

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Sep 11 08:50:22 UTC 2020

Hi Chloe,

The difference is stating in a policy “Repeated and/or continued policy violations”, vs a fuzzy and generic RSA terms (which are needed to be sufficiently general in order to comply with laws and cover all the situations).

The dashboard can’t be used as an excuse. If you fail to follow the policies, you will get a warning once detected. You need to resolve it. If you don’t resolve it, the RSA allows AFRINIC to terminate the account and recover the resources. No possible excuse. If you resolve the issue, but after a few months keep repeating the violations, and this happens once and again, then you are a “bad member”, either because lack of knowledge, or laziness, or bad business practices, or you explicitly ignore the policies. AFRINIC will try to help you if it is a problem of lack of knowledge, or for example will tell the community “this policy is being violated by several folks, maybe there is something wrong, something to improve, change or clarify?”.

Even in case of breach, this provided AFRINIC and the member a way to coordinate *before* resources are recovered, contact the resource-holder, try to solve the situation, etc.

AFRINIC goal is not to recover resources or close members, on the other way around (increase members), and to make sure that they are being used efficiently and according to policies. Also, to oversight if the policies are going in a wrong direction so the community can reconsider those. All that needs as much automated process as possible, not manual and random checks of the staff.

Of course, there may be points that we may need to improve with the time. This happens with any policy. Technology change, business change, we all learn, everything evolves, and we may find more “perfect” ways to do things. We need to understand that the CPM is a live document, that’s why we have a PDP. However, we need a starting point!

Note that all the other RIRs have similar systems and in fact this proposal was done based on a previous one adopted in LACNIC, because we had the same issue, people not following policy changes, the RSA being too generic and forcing the RIR to recover resources even on a first mistake, etc.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet