[rpd] Policy Proposal: PDP Working Group (WG) Guidelines and Procedures

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Sep 1 09:09:45 UTC 2020

I’m convinced, and I hope everyboy will agree, there is a *big* difference in:
A policy proposal about resources, abuse, RPKI, etc., etc. There is a single Internet, even if we split it in 5 RIRs regarding the handling of resources. What we do in RIPE affects folks in all the world, including Africa. What we do in AFRINIC, affects all the world, including Europe. That’s why policies tend to converge, even if there may be slightly differences in cultural or economical aspects, in my opinion those, re-converge with the time.
A policy proposal related to the elections process. Clearly this is more tied to the cultural localities, how people is used to work and relation among them, etc.
A proposal about other aspecs of the PDP modification is probably in the middle. There are aspects that work the same in all the regions, because all them are based in bottom-up, rought consensus and the ICP-2. There may be “corners” which may depend more on cultural aspects.

Nobody tries to be a king. We all try to cooperate in a global Internet and you will never get such kind of comment or ad-hominem that we got in AFRINIC (not just in the mailing list but also in meetings), when you come to a RIPE, ARIN, LACNIC or APNIC meeting or participate in the list. Please participate in all them!

And in this specific case, I clearly said, that I will support that election procedure if I can see the actual candidates withdrawing in favor of a single one of them. For that you don’t need the policy change. It can be done right now. Then you can change the policy to do that in a consistent manner in following elections.

I hope my position is very clear.

Tks

Jordi