[rpd] Policy Proposal: PDP Working Group (WG) Guidelines and Procedures

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Aug 31 08:54:49 UTC 2020

Hi Arnaud,

However, you are still missing this text:

“If no consensus can be reached then a secret ballot to elect the new chair(s) will be held at the working group session. Everyone physically present at the session can participate in the secret ballot. Votes will be counted by RIPE NCC Staff, and the result will be determined using proportional representation through the single transferable vote, otherwise known as PR-STV. The winner(s) of the secret ballot will become the new chair(s).”

So, if other people in this list don’t read the full text, they can have the idea that is “only” done by consensus.

Again, the important point here is that the context is *very* different. In RIPE WGs, we didn’t need to do a voting because when there were *several* candidates (very few occasions, because there are many WGs, so the candidates are split among them), and before that happening, candidates will withdraw in favor of others, so only *a single* candidate remain, and this, there is no need for “consensus” it is just “elected by acclamation”.

For that, we *don’t* need to change the procedure here. We just need that the actual candidates decide among them which one remains and all the other ones withdraw. Then the voting is not needed.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet