[rpd] Policy Development Process and Elections

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Aug 20 15:46:21 UTC 2020

I think, you missed my previous point. I've done this in Spain several times. I think it should work the same in Mauritius, or in a similar way.

At least in Spain if you make a claim to the police (not to the court), so they start a basic investigation, contact Google and get the data. Usually google cooperates if it is basic data as per my example, then it is escalated to the corresponding court. You don't need to pay when you make the claim to the police. You will only need a lawyer and start having legal expenses if you continue the claim at the court, but at that point you can just desist.

My point was that AFRINIC could have done the same. No expenses involved, but we will know who was behind the fake email (in case we didn't trust the community investigation). The board decided to do nothing, so we set a bad example. Even if the board decided to continue with the legal claim and cover the legal expenses, there are many chances that they will be reimbursed by the "guilty" and in any case it is a very well invested money just to show that we protect the community from this kind of acts.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 20/8/20 17:36, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

In message <21273FBD-6EC8-463B-874E-54FF71A807B2 at consulintel.es>,
JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

>In general, companies such as Google, Facebook, etc. cooperate with LEA...

Do I need to point out the obvious fact that AFRINIC is not law enforcement?

>I understand that in most cases they may not be willing to respond with *other information*, unless a third country court ask an US court to provide it, etc.

Google/Gmail will not give AFRINIC *any* information about *any* gmail
account... not even the owner's name (which may have been forged anyway
when the account was created) without a court order that obliges them
to do so.

I'm sorry. This is not the way that I would like things to be either,
but these ARE the facts.