[rpd] Revised Proposal | Resource Transfer Policy (Draft-2)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 18 19:30:26 UTC 2020

None of the changes address any of my previous comments, so they all still stand and are included
here by reference.

In this version 5.7.3.1 is irrational

In every other RIR, the source of a transfer is required to be in compliance with the policies of the source RIR.
It does not make sense to impose the policies of the receiving RIR on the source of a transfer.

5.7.4.1 is absurdly worded as a meandering run-on sentence. Instead, I propose:
5.7.4.1 Transfer recipients in the AFRINIC region must demonstrate need according to existing
AFRINIC policies in the same manner as if the resources were to be received from
the AFRINIC free pool. Transfer recipients in another RIR must comply with the
recipient policies of that RIR.

5.7.4.3 is bolded, yet it contains the exact same language as the existing policy.

5.7.5 attempts to invent a new process wheel and is overly specific about the actions required. I suggest
that we leave this issue to staff as an implementation detail and business practice and that they work
with the other RIRs which have well established and well functioning processes for these transfers
already. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. It is perfectly round and rolls nicely in 4 RIRs already.

Owen