[rpd] "Abuse Contact Policy Update" (AFPUB-2018-GEN-001-DRAFT06)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Aug 17 08:46:50 UTC 2020

We should remember that when this (any) policy passes consensus and is ratified by the board, it can take some time to implement. Further to that, any policy is subjected to be improved while and after implemented. We are humans, we can fail, Internet can change, we need the RPD and the staff reports (such as the Members Service's feedback) to keep improving them. This is why consensus is about "conceding" (“Rough consensus is achieved when all issues are addressed, but not necessarily accommodated"), we may not 100% agree that a policy is perfect, but it is better than nothing and we can keep improving with *real* experience.

In this case, I guess it will be around 3-6 months. At some point during the implementations (this are operational issues), I think AFRINIC should make sure to inform all the members that they should start filling their abuse-c, so when the validation really starts, we have as less "missing" or "invalid" contacts as possible.

Then I don't expect it will be wise to "validate" all the members at once, instead, for example, each week validate the members that have signed the RSA that week. This way, the workload (in case of failed contacts that need to be escalated) is split across the year. Again, those are operational details, but seems sensible to do that way or in a similar one.

If that approach is followed, the initial "complete" membership validations will take one year. The staff can probably implement it in such way that they can "speed-up or slow-down" validations if for example one week most of them succeeded or on the other way around, etc.

In the next validation round, they will have stats to compare if the quality of the contacts is going much better or worse, and decide about adjusting the number of validations per year, etc.

Just a few ideas :-)

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 17/8/20 10:21, "Frank Habicht" <geier at geier.ne.tz> escribió:

Hi,

On 17/08/2020 07:30, Noah wrote:
> 6 months is too long for periodic validation. Can that be updated
> immediately to a much shorter period say monthly or quarterly.

I was initially thinking 6 months is too short.

But I think Jordi found a good compromise.
And he rightly left some freedom for AfriNIC staff regarding the details.

The right interval after all considerations and all opinions from the
RPD list might be 6.78 months or 5.18 months, but is that very important?

I believe it's more important that we get the policy passed, as good as
we can.

Details like the precise interval (where there will always be someone
who will suggest half a month difference), we can in my opinion postpone
after we have resolved the much more important question about the colour
of the bike shed at AfriNIC's office building. I want blue!

Frank