[rpd] Policy Impact (was Re: Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship)

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Jun 3 12:58:23 UTC 2020

Hello,

Let us be alert to detect and address issues like this affecting our networks and Internet resources.

Good that old human networking helped to immediately stop this hijacking, but It was the time when one could expect to rely on accurate and responsive abuse contacts.

Yes, ROA and ROV could not have helped here. They are designed to help with accidental mis-configuration of origin. But let imagine that the LoAs issued for the origination of this prefix by upstreams were turned into ROAs. Wouldn’t it be different?

The adoption of solution like Autonomous System Origin Authorization could have prevented the hijacking. But until we get there, shall we continue to refuse to improve the system with the little we have ?

An existing adoption and large scale experience with ROV would definitely help with the adoption of new solutions.

Adoption and implementation of accurate and responsive abuse contacts would be a critical tool in hand to quickly resolve this kind of issues.

The discussions over the incident also raised questions about policies and RSA compliance.

Policy-wise where do we stand ?

- an Abuse contact proposal was introduced in August 2018 and has been opposed

-an AS0 ROA proposal introduced in November last year, which is meant to protect against hijacking of unallocated prefixes in Afrinic free pools and to encourage the same for members unused space was also opposed. You may have remembered the saga of the appeal against co-chairs decision of no- consensus after last the recent call period of this proposal

- a review of INRs usage proposal was submitted in May 2016 and was also opposed. The WG failed to design a consensual version

- a policy compliance proposal has been submitted recently and we wait to see what will happen

RPD archives and PPMs notes give enough information on the discussions around these proposals.

While we wait for new proposals which will probably come from the current discussions, shouldn’t we revive and fix what went wrong with these proposals?

We knew that the post IPv4 exhaustion period will be delicate and supposed to be prepared for it.

Every little improvement we add to the infrastructure shall be welcome

Hope this helps

-Alain