[rpd] [afnog] AIS 2020 - POSTPONEMENT

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:23:45 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Hope this email will find y'all in good health.

Please see my comments embedded below...

Le 19/03/2020 à 09:40, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD a écrit :

> Hi Owen,

Dear Jordi,
Thanks for this email.

> Top posting to make it short and probably to close the thread.

...i'm not sure if you really wanted to say/write 'close the thread' :-)

But, please accept that i add this email, maybe to not exactly try to
re-open the thread ? :-/

> I think it is a matter of subjective opinion in the way the PDP text

> is written, and I think it will be up to the chairs and staff to

> interpret it, or we may never reach an agreement.

For sure, the Chairs still have the famous 'Varying the Process' (CPM
section 3.6) in case.
...not sure for the Staff :-/

> Note that is not just the English text, but how you translate to your

> own native language.

> If you don’t offer a venue for in-person, then you’re not fulfilling

> the text. It is correct that the venue may be “empty”, but It must “be

> there”.

...to clarify : your point is good, but there is the CPM section 3.6 to
address it.

But, this is where we need to see the PDP respected as normally, the
Legal Advisor should quickly
clarify the issue raised.

...see CPM section 3.4 : "[...] AFRINIC shall also provide relevant
facts and statistics if
requested during the discussion. [...]".

> You know how dificult is remote participation in IETF. You know how is

> connecitivity for many people in Africa. Even when doing remote

> presentations it is dificult. Last time in Angola, it was dificult to

> understand Sylvain, who was doing a remote presentation of a proposal.

OK Jordi, i was not aware, but what i observe is that : we (PDWG) need a
serious *post-PPM evaluation*.

As you know, i setted-up an active local PPMhub
<https://www.cmnog.cm/dokuwiki/IdeasAndProjects/Ideas/PPMhub>), so
remote participation was not just
a distraction and the cmNOG ; the goal was to promote the remote
participation and the work have been
and the cmNOG ; the goal was to promote the remote participation and the
work have been done with
the poormeans we had. Now we (PDWG) have a great opportunity to correct
things as we should...

> I’m sure we, engineers can do it better, but I’m convinced that for

> ensuring a smooth virtual meeting, it will be better that some people

> is on-site.

No need again (CPM section 3.6) ;-)
...so, we want to learn for past or other stories of remote
participation. Now we don't have
the choice, as when i was calling for more action for more remote
participation.

> For sure, we need to coordinate the dates to remain the same as

> originally expected, otherwise, proposal co-authors may not be available.

...another reason to maintain the calendar, i think IMHO.
...so, we want to learn for past or other stories/experiences of remote
participation. Now we
don't have the choice, as when i was calling for more action to enhance
participation by adjusting
the remote participation.

Shalom,
--sb.