[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Gregoire EHOUMI gregoire.ehoumi at yahoo.fr
Sat Feb 22 18:11:23 UTC 2020

> Le 20 févr. 2020 à 01:04, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> a écrit :

> I’m aware of all of these. All include allegations without proof of wrongdoing or policy violation.

Nobody expects you to accept the proofs shown all along... All are from public data. The proofs are for AFRINIC Ltd, which is expected to force a review and clear these allegations as the member refuses to request a review to show compliance...

> Indeed, Madhvi herself has stated that in-region members who have out-of-region customers were not in violation of AfriNIC policy by assigning addresses to them:

> https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2013/003577.html <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2013/003577.html>

I don't think Madhvi has said so in the URL above and I do agree that having out-of-region customers does not put in violation of policy by default.

What she described is more interesting:
--------
AFRINIC has again received a request in which an LIR located in its service region has ISPs incorporated outside the AFRINIC service region as customers and the majority of the allocations are assigned to these customers' customers.
--------

I would like to know how afrinic hostmasters made their decisions on this request even with the policies in force at the time.
Whatever was their decisions, it does not really matter. What matters is for Afrinic to show the world that the way the numbers are being used now match the approved justified needs.

> She asked the community to develop clear policy guidance in this area. While she does claim that registration services did their best to violate policy and limit such registrations, in reality, that is an admission of improper conduct. While some may feel that registration services was doing the right thing, the reality is that if the policies are wrong, we as a community should discuss and change them. AfriNIC staff and management should not be substituting their judgment for that of the community except in dire cases of emergency. In such a case, the board does have the power to implement emergency policy or suspend any policy which is problematic.

Whatever policies and guidelines we put in place, evaluation of requests will always depend on interpretation, level of collaboration of the requester, with final decision to staff considering various other factors related to the resources which here is scare resources(IPv4).
The "coach and approve" method adopted seems normal considering the different level of experience and expertise in the region.

> If you don’t like the policy by which Larus acquired its addresses, then by all means propose amendments.

Hmmm. Change of laws only disposes for future
I think the community is no longer interested on how these 6 millions of IPv4 were allocated, but more interested on how they are being used.

> Making accusations against a company which has not violated policy simply because your idea of how the policy should be implemented differs from the actual wording of the policy is disingenuous at best.

> Owen

I thought it is normal for the community to care about how members and in particular "large members" are doing with the numbers. As said above, it is now about "show, explain and justify how they are used and what is seen publicly" even in the absence of policy, RSA has provisions for such activity

- Greg