[rpd] Larus foundation and Afrinic PDP

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 19 07:23:31 UTC 2020

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 11:02 , gregoire.ehoumi via RPD <rpd at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Owen,

> We all remember your business relationship with Larus which you confessed in the past.

You say “confessed” as if it is a crime. I disclosed it as I believe that transparency is a good thing. I do a small amount of consulting for Larus.

> There are no accusations, but true and serious concerns that are easy for a non conflicted person to see.

Please state these concerns clearly so that they may be addressed.

> It is obvious that people through this fellowship are recruited for a specific mission as one can read through the Larus Foundation fellowship terms and agreement.

Really… Please state that mission and then point to where it is spelled out in the terms and agreement.

> We have seen Larus fellows on the mic during the AfriNIC PPM struggling to guarantee the 500USD reward, by reading and repeating irrelevant comments, while engaging on topic/issues they have no clue about.

I can assure you that we are not rewarding such behavior. If a fellow hopes to earn the full stipend for participation, their participation must be informed, on point, and relevant. Repetitious, irrelevant, or uninformed discussion is not our goal and is not intended to be rewarded. I believe that is clear in our terms and conditions.

> The mission seems to be to prevent at all costs, AfriNIC for exercising some control over the management of Internet Number Resources (INR).

Please point to any place where that is stated in the Larus Foundation Fellowship Terms and Conditions. I can assure you it is not the goal of anything I am involved in.

> As previously discussed on this list, the reward money is suspected to come from fraudulent use of extra large IPv4 that people behind the foundation were allocated by AfriNIC.

The foundation receives funding from a number of sources. I’m not privy to all of them, but I will say:

1. No such fraudulent use has been proven (or even investigated) to the best of my knowledge.
2. I am not aware of any such fraudulent use. If I were, I would report it and encourage AfriNIC to take
appropriate measures to revoke or reclaim the space.
3. No evidence of such fraud has been presented here to the best of my knowledge.

It is easy to hurl unfounded accusations. If you have evidence to support those claims, then bring it forth and let us examine it. If Larus Cloud has been committing resource fraud, I will be the first to say that their resources should be treated accordingly. If I believed that were the case, I would not have accepted the contract.

> Time has come for members who sponsor AfriNIC meeting and offer fellowship for AfriNIC PDP, to show fully their compliance with AfriNIC policies, RSA and other ethical principles.

I continue to subscribe to the theory (which I admit may be primarily American in nature) that an entity is innocent until proven guilty. If you have evidence showing that Larus or any of it’s agents have acted unethically or in violation of policy, then bring that evidence forward and let the community examine it. Let us be transparent and consider evidence rather than continue with unfounded accusation and innuendo lacking evidence.

Owen