[rpd] Chère communauté francophone

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Feb 19 03:38:46 UTC 2020

Hi Christophe,

If you allow me to mention what I think is the best way to do this.

Only one language must be the official one, and in this case, I think it should be English, because is the one with more % of population speaking it in the region.

In LACNIC we have the same problem (Spanish, Portuguese, English, French and some Dutch). Everybody is able to speak any of them. In the meetings there is simultaneous translation for the first 3 that I mention.

The staff make translations of the policy proposals in the same 3 languages.

However, the only official version of the policy text is Spanish, otherwise, the interpretations from translations could create problems.

In the case I think having 3-4 languages for all the proposals (same languages that I’ve seen the recent emails), it is a good idea as well, but I strongly suggest that only the English version becomes the official one for the consensus process and for the policy manual (even if the manual can keep 3-4 languages), so in case of discrepancies there is a single common language.

Note that RIPE NCC and in a major degree APNIC have the same problem, and in both cases, only English is used and in the case of APNIC, I think only some of the national organizations do translations of the policy proposals right before the meeting.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet