[rpd] Chère communauté francophone

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Feb 18 11:24:29 UTC 2020

Hi Tresor,

I don’t agree with that feeling.

The power is in your voice. Maybe you don’t get what you think is right the first time you contribute, but if you don’t keep insisting, you will never get it.

I work for a very small company and I participate in all the RIR meetings, paying even from my own pocket my traveling, because I believe this is the right thing to do: using part of my time to improve the global Internet (and that means participating in IETF and contributing with documents and participating in the RIR contributing with presentations in the meetings and policy proposals).

I think only if you persist you will be able to contribute. If you surrender in the first attempts, then you never get really involved and don't help the community.

Sometimes there is not a single way to do anything in terms of proposals or standards, that why it get much better as more people gets involved.

If you’re operating networks, never mind work in an ISP or a government network or an enterprise network, your view is important and I will say more:

*contributing to the PDP is part of your work* How come you want to be responsible of your network if you don’t tell the rest of the world how you believe it should be done?

Your network is not isolated, whatever is done in any part of the world, in the Internet, affects all of us.

Do you think you will change anything that is wrong in your country if you don’t put your voice in every occasion you have something to say?

This is exactly the same. If you don’t insist, things don’t get better and in the case of the PDP, because it is about consensus building, the best way it works is not just coming to the meetings to tell your opinion, because then if something needs to be changes is TOO LATE, it needs to come back after 6 months, so we all *WASTE* our time. The right time to contribute is since a proposal is submitted, so we can have as many versions are needed and as much discussion is possible, so all the points of view are taken in consideration.

This is not about who write the best proposal, is about “as many people” as possible contribute to improve it, so less people have anything to object (even if we don’t reach a perfect proposal, we may need to come back after some implementation experience to improve it). Exactly the same as when we do work for IETF.

Each one is convinced (initially) on their own views, and only hearing all the others will be able to adapt his view to the overall view of the community, and this is possible because each of us can provide their grains of sand in terms of their own experience, including proposals that have worked (or not) in other RIR, how ISPs in other regions do things, etc.

If we don’t understand that there is a single Internet, we are going to nowhere.

Sorry for the long email, but I couldn’t resist!

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet