[rpd] End of LAST call

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sat Feb 1 17:24:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 01/02/2020 19:10, Anthony Ubah wrote:

> With respect to the above, a typical example would be my query on this

> RPKI ROAs for Unallocated and Unassigned AFRINIC Address Space policy

> proposal, a few of my inquiries were addressed, however, I questioned

> the effectiveness of having such policy on a regional scale where the

> true benefit can only be enjoyed if implemented as a global policy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
our definitions of "true benefit" seem to vary.
I'd say that 5 regional policies for the 5 RIRs will amount to 100% true
benefit.
And one policy for AfriNIC will be contributing 20% to that.

But of course you could measure that by the number of prefixes that
would get to have ROAs with AS0 - [1]
Then AfriNIC would only have 376 out of 3913 impact. <10%

But then, together with APNIC, where it [2] has reached consensus, we're
already at 48.17% (if AfriNIC joins, which I think there was consensus).

I think in any case the benefits would outweigh the costs.

If anyone thinks differently: Please specify how you want to measure the
effectiveness.

An AfriNIC policy might have 20% effectiveness of a global policy or
9.6% effectiveness of a global policy, but if you think a global policy
can be done, please propose and I'll be in favour. But it shouldn't stop
the AfriNIC policy, because we know it has some effectiveness.

Thanks,
Frank

> I ask again, why not push for a Global policy proposal for RPKI ROAs for

> Unallocated and Unassigned resources? If I didn't miss the response to

> that, then it still hasn't been addressed.

> Regards,

> Ant'

[1]
maybe these numbers might be current:

[frank at fisi ~]$ for rir in delegated-afrinic-extended-20200201
delegated-apnic-extended-20200201 delegated-arin-extended-20200131
delegated-lacnic-extended-20200131 delegated-ripencc-extended-20200131;
do echo "RIR: $rir"; awk -F'|' '($7=="available" || $7=="reserved") &&
$3=="ipv4" {print}' $rir | wc -l; echo; done
RIR: delegated-afrinic-extended-20200201
376

RIR: delegated-apnic-extended-20200201
1509

RIR: delegated-arin-extended-20200131
1042

RIR: delegated-lacnic-extended-20200131
485

RIR: delegated-ripencc-extended-20200131
501

[frank at fisi ~]$

[2]
https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/proposals/prop-132