[rpd] AFPUB-2019-IPv6-002-DRAFT01: "Adjusting IPv6 PA Policy"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Nov 5 07:38:36 UTC 2019

I just responded to this, but just in case I was not clear:

This proposa:

https://www.afrinic.net/policy/proposals/2019-v6-001-d2#proposal

which already reached consensus in the last meeting, and has already been ratified by the board, solved that issue. However, it has not been yet implemented. The staff can probably confirm their target implementation timing.

This is the key point that we are trying to make symmetric among IPv6 PA and PI:

If the addressing space issued under this policy is to be announced, to the extent practicable, the organization should aggregate any announcements of prefixes so as to minimize global routing table growth.

(“if …. Is to be announced”) allows cases, like using IPv6 for IXPs, or non-connected networks, to obtain the addresses from AFRINIC, without being forced to announce it. The difference is that, in my opinion, an ISP/LIR, always must have it announced, because the intent is to provide connectivity to other organizations (customers).

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet