[rpd] Proposal Update received: AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 00:03:30 UTC 2019

The policy for allowing IPv4-only Inter-RIR transfers just reached
consensus on LACNIC recently and is in implementation phase which was
said that will only be ready next year after a couple of months of work,
so it must not be a simple and cheap thing to adjust on RIR systems for
this significant change. Now add IPv6 and more complexity to increase
this even more.

But the cost is one of the things to be taken in consideration. The main
one is to answer the question: Allowing IPv6 transfers (in M&A scenarios
or not) is something really necessary for the community or is it
something to solve the problem of just a few organizations ?
Renumbering has always been the default rule and transfers between RIRs
only started to happen in order to cope with IPv4 exhaustion issue which
is of course something the benefits all. In IPv6 there is no such issue
(and I guess there will never be). Is it worth allowing this extra
complexity just to accomplish a few organizations needs given they
already have a plausible solution which renumbering ?
It is also worth asking: How many Inter-RIR M&A happen yearly to justify
such a change in the RIR system ?

In ARIN this discussion doesn't seem to be reaching consensus so far in
my view, there are people arguing with valid points for both sides. In
LACNIC the proposal with this topic has is about to receivea new version
in order to exclude IPv6 from M&A due to it not seeming to reach
consensus with similar arguments from those who oppose. Therefore the
topic is far from been pacific and I suggest the authors to exclude IPv6
and ASN from it in order for it to advance.

With regards the stats you looked need to find out further and in more
details. I may be wrong but ARIN doesn't currently have a policy to
allow IPv6 transfers (nor M&A which is been discussed at the moment -
Section 8.4 of their Policy Manual) so those cases you mentioned may be
of something special case (e.g: related to legacy or something).

Regards
Fernando Frediani