[rpd] [Ext] Re: Proposal Update received: AFRINIC Number Resources Transfer Policy

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Oct 22 22:20:15 UTC 2019

Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> The merged entity is free to use the resources if it's within the region.

> For M&A Inter-RIR happen much less often and is something that

> impacts only that entity. Why pass over that situation and costs to all

> others ?

Without taking a stance on this proposal, do we have a ballpark figure for what the cost might be?

[...]

> Furthermore I will quote some words said by another person in another

> discussion in another RIR which I fully agree: "I do not think it to be a good

> idea.  Right now, without a policy change I can look at that list and know

> that 100% of each Block of IPv6 addresses is managed by the RIR listed.

> That allows for clean filter lists in IPv6 for those that choose to filter out

> abuse routes from other RIR's.  Allowing transfers will eliminate that clean

> fixed line that currently exists.  Also, return and renumbering has always

> been part of the policy since the beginning of IPv6 and should be enforced."

That ship has already sailed, I think. I looked at the most recent stats file from the RIPE NCC and it contains 60 allocations with a US country code, 12 with an IN code, two with a CA code, and one showing PA.

Kind regards,

Leo Vegoda