[rpd] The Redistribution of Wealth

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Mon Jul 29 14:36:28 UTC 2019

On 7/27/19 4:01 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I happened to stumble onto the following interesting article recently,

> and I just wanted to share it with you all. There has been discussion

> here of late regarding the distribution of Afrinic IPv4 assets, and

> this article might arguably be relevant to that.

> My apologies if others view this as being off-topic for this list.

> (Personally, I don't think that it is.)

If you think it's arguably related, can you make the argument? I don't
see it.

> https://www.icij.org/investigations/mauritius-leaks/treasure-island-leak-reveals-how-mauritius-siphons-tax-from-poor-nations-to-benefit-elites/

> Regards,

> rfg

> P.S. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I

> understand it, Afrinic is incorporated in Mauritius. I'm not at

> all sure why that is so, as I was not there at the founding.

It was not my decision, but my memory was that it was an African country
that was acceptable to most of the community. It was important to
incorporate in a country that is politically stable and has clear
regulations and laws, and fair courts. Among its advantages, the people
are commonly fluent in English and French. Several other countries were
proposed, but some were unacceptable to various people for cultural or
political reasons.

The major downside to Mauritius, from what I've seen, is that it's far,
so travel is expensive.

Lee