[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Tue Jul 2 09:42:22 UTC 2019

> On 1 Jul 2019, at 20:12, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
>
> Alan –
>
> For clarity – can you qualify the meaning of
>
> “Services” – since this does not state IP services – it states services – so – what services exactly fall under this?

I think the Bylaws are pretty clear [6.1(i)] “engaged in the use of, or business of providing, open system protocol network services"

> Again – this comes down to whats in the policy – and provided you are not using IP space allocated under the soft landing policy – I still maintain there is absolutely no requirement codified that prevents off continent use of allocated resources.

In the soft landing “exhaustion phase”, policy is clear: any out-of-region use of IPv4 space must be to support connectivity back to the region.

Prior to the exhaustion phase, out of region use of non-soft-landing space was allowed, provided that there is also in-region use of the number resources.  The policy does not give specific proportions, but staff expect the majority of the usage to be in-region.

Alan Barrett