[rpd] inputs on IPv4 Inter-RIR policy proposals - AFRINIC needs this policy now!

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Jun 29 07:01:26 UTC 2019

Hi Ronald,

You're still assuming that those resources belong to Africa.

They aren't. The IP addressed are a global resource.

Part of them have been distributed pre-RIR, others in each RIR. This distribution is not a owership change from the global community to each region, but a way to assign the registration and rights to use them according to policies in each region.

May be the legal counsel is able to provide more details about the "legal assesment" . I doubt it, because before the meeting we raised a question about the conflict of the RSA and transfers and he never responded. I was expecting he will present that assesment during the meeting. He did not.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 29/6/19 1:05, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

    In message <47B9CD44-F769-42F7-B7A6-9FF70E00540D at consulintel.es>,
    JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:

    >I think that may clarify your points?

    Not really.  But thanks for trying.

    I raised two points, one of them arguably silly, and the other one
    arguably less so.

    My first point was that the plain language of Section 3.2 of the Bylaws
    could be construed to disable Afrinic's ablity to "transfer" any kind of
    "asset" to any party.  And if "asset" were, in this context, construed
    broadly, then that would result in the arguably remarkable outcome that
    Afrinic could not "transfer" any IP address resources to any party.

    Words have meaning, and not just to lawyers, but also to statesmen and
    to those debating policy decisions.  So my hope is that Section 3.2 of
    the Bylaws may at some point be formally clarified so as to remove any
    ambiguity.

    My second point was about Section 6.1 of the Bylaws which, on the face
    of it, contains a geographically-limited residence/service requirement.

    I want to know if that Section still has any current meaning, and if so,
    what that meaning is.

    I do not assme that just because it is written in the Bylaws that this
    section has any actual current operative meaning.  It may perhaps not.
    I am just asking the question.  (In the fundamental Constitution, as
    amended, of my own home nation, there appear the words "A well regulated
    Militia...", however over time, that specific phrase has been adjudicated
    to have essentially no meaning whatsoever, and thus, no practical
    implications whatsoever.  It may perhaps be likewise for Section 6.1
    of the Afrinic Bylaws.)

    Regards,
    rfg