[rpd] impact analysis for policies

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 23:14:49 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Please see below (inline)

Le 6/24/2019 à 3:03 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via RPD a écrit :

> Hi Sylvain,
>

> You’re good man! You just convinced me and I’m not easy ;-)

...i'm trying to do my best, for sure, by the grace of THE Lord.

Jordi i have a similar thought about you :-)

> I accept your bet ;-) Let’s have **now** a very simple policy proposal
> for making the impact analysis timely mandatory.

Thanks for have accepted this challenge. We have an opportunity to bring
less policy proposals, under discussion, at the next PPM (Public Policy
Meeting) ; because some of them would have already reached consensus
before and that is very good news.

...not sure if we can do it so simple as you want it ; but...we should
try ;-)

> I’m proposing you the following and I’m doing it openly in the list,
> so others can provide inputs as well.

I agree, let's discuss openly to collect any available input :-)

> According “3.6 Varying the Process”, for that we need a **co-chair**
> to accept it. Any taker?
>

> This is the variance that I’m proposing:
>
>  1. Publish officially the policy proposal and start a 4-weeks for
>     community discussion.
>  2. If after that, the chairs believe there is consensus, last-call
>     for 4-weeks.
>  3. If there is no-consensus, allow to repeat the process, maximum up
>     to one month before the next meeting (then there is no need for
>     the variance of the process).

4. This Variance decision shall take effect one month after its
publication on the PDP list.

5. That first month after the publication of the Variance decision shall
serve to prepare the commuty before the effective start point of the
cycle of variance.

**Question** : where to store this Variance decision and its future
successors ?

...to what i understand, when published it becomes part of the PDP and
supersides all existent concurrent texts which might conflict with it.

**A Proposed Answer**

With the CPM section 3.6, can we conclude that it's not possible to
alter the CPM to insert|store the variance decision ? (perhaps we should
also prepare a policy proposal to amend the CPM section 3.6 :-/)

I have an idea, i'm not sure it could work fine. But let's give it a try
please :-)

...so when the Chairs annonce a new variance of the CPM, we can tag the
title of all the section affected by the new variance decision by
something like [SUPERSIDED by Variance in Place ; see Section 3.6.1] :

+ We leave the actual texts of any affected sections as it is :

+ Just add a special tag with a small text to the title ?

Like this : [SUPERSIDED by the Varying in Place ; see section 3.6.1]

+ Title the section 3.6.1 by : Active Variance Process Decisions

+ Paste the variance decision at the section 3.6.1. (new sub-section)

+ Remove the content of the section when the Variance Decision expires.

> ***
>
> ACTUAL text (at 3.4.1):
>
> The Working Group Chair(s) may request AFRINIC to provide an analysis
> (technical, financial, legal or other), of the impact of the draft
> policy proposal.
>

> DRAFT proposed text (replace the previous text):
>
> AFRINIC will publish an impact analysis (technical, financial, legal
> or other) at least 10 days before the next Public Policy Meeting. If
> justified, in case of extremely complex new policy proposals, AFRINIC
> will publish at least a draft version of the impact analysis.
>
> ***

As discussed before, the problem to solve is too complex. To handle most
of the complexity, i propose this text instead :

*** DRAFT proposed text (replace the previous text):
* The AFRINIC Staff publish (website and RPD mailinglist) an impact
analysis report during the first week after a new policy proposal is
published.

* When a new version of a policy proposal is published, on request of
the Chair(s) or the Author(s), the Staff publish a new impact analysis
report, during the first week after the publication of that policy
proposal version.

* No impact analysis report should be published ten (10) days before the
next Public Policy Meeting.

* If justified, in case of extremely complex new policy proposals,
AFRINIC Staff publish at least a draft version of the impact analysis
report.

* An impact analysis report shall be of one or both following types
: technical, financial, legal or other.
*** END

> This small change in our PDP will prove ourselves that AFRINIC
> community is able to pro-actively discuss and pass policy proposals in
> the list.
>

> What do you think?

I agree that we are doing a good job (thank GOD), together, and
hopefully some other will follow this challenging approach.

> Regards,
>
> Jordi
>
> @jordipalet

__

[1]: https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/

[2]: https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2019/009578.html

[3]: Like is not the right word, say as it is, i think that your text
has no yet taken in account all the information we have publicly discussed.

Shalom,

--sb.

> El 24/6/19 15:20, "Sylvain BAYA" <abscoco at gmail.com
> <mailto:abscoco at gmail.com>> escribió: