[rpd] New Policy Proposal Received - "Provisions for Resource Hijacking (AFPUB-2019-GEN-001-DRAFT01)"

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun May 26 21:40:34 UTC 2019

Hi Owen,

Let’s state this again. The proposal doesn’t intent to say the operators how to operate their routers.

The proposal simply states that if an AFRINIC member is granted with uniqueness, as you stated below, other members can’t jump over that.

The resources are for exclusive use of the members that got them allocated, under the prescriptions of our rules (the policies). If I’m AFRINIC member, I can’t use other members resources (unless explicitly authorized to by the resource holder).

This is a very basic rule of ANY membership organization: Respect the other members and whatever products/rights/services are provided to them. Members not respecting other members at a minimum should be warned about that, and if they persist, there must be consequences.

The decision to use a RIR or another is not voluntary, is the only possible way. You must use the registry of your region (small differences here among regions that require or not using the resources in that region).

Even if only a few hijacking is done by RIR members, and we can avoid that, the result will be good enough.

Regards,

Jordi