[rpd] Fwd: [arin-ppml] Micfo

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 16 19:28:25 UTC 2019

Yes, and I fully support that.

However, when the proponents of a certain proposal point to ARIN NRPM section 12, they seem to miss the point of that section.

That section doesn’t enable ARIN to pursue fraud, it places clear limits on how ARIN can pursue fraud to minimize disruption to ARIN resource holders.

One could argue that in the current staff/management/board environment at ARIN, NRPM 12 is probably unnecessary. This wasn’t always the case, and I believe it’s good to leave it in place as a safeguard should that ever change.

Remove section 12 from the NRPM entirely and ARIN would still have been able to do everything it did in this case.

The RSA and the laws in the US are the relevant enabling documents that allowed ARIN to pursue this case. If anything, NRPM 12 may have slowed down their progress or otherwise hampered the investigation with its limitations. (I don’t believe that was the case, but I don’t know for sure).

Owen