[rpd] New Proposal: Pv6 PI Clarification

Jaco Kroon jaco at uls.co.za
Fri Apr 12 08:19:27 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 2019/04/11 14:35, Lee Howard wrote:

> On 4/11/19 7:49 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Use of ULA compared to RFC1918 addresses?
> There is little or no consensus around how to use ULA addresses.
Fair enough.  I never even contemplated it's use myself, and frankly, I
agree that if you can get public space, you should use it.  I suspect
one case where ULA would make sense if if you're receiving dynamic
delegations from upstream service provider(s) but still need addresses
to be stable (static) inside your organisation.  Anyway, the addresses
are available for use by any organisation that would like to use them,
for whatever reason.

>> Not objecting.  Making IPv6 more freely available might just help
>> with uptake, which we really need.
>
> Among the reasons I have heard for delaying IPv6 deployment, I have
> never heard that IPv6 addresses were not freely available enough. Is
> it an issue for you or your organization?

No.  As an LIR I've got a /32 of which we've currenly a handful of /48s,
for our own network use and a couple of dedicated point-to-point
business customers.  The two primary issues we've got:

1.  In some cases we're using IPC type connections for last-mile
connectivity, in this specific case this means two BGP connections onto
two different VRFs, one for uplink and one for downlink, and that only
supports IPv4 currently, in spite of having been pushing for IPv6 for a
while.  Here we can get around it by establishing an L2TP connection
from the client back to us and then delegatin a /56 or even a /48 back
over the L2TP connection.

2.  Tracking the delegations is turning out to be a further nightmare
with most of the routers that we've tested not informing our radius
server of delegations made by it to sessions.  We've mostly tested with
MikroTik though and based on readins it looks like some other routers
may be acting differently.  This may also be why the providers
contemplated in (1) isn't currently supporting IPv6 towards us to begin
with.  The exact scenario we tested: /64 allocated on router for PPPoE
connections, it'll happily inform us of the link-address assigned (/128)
but one doesn't need this as the link-local is perfectly adequate here
but it does help if you need to remotely log in on client-routers for
support, once link is established (radius auth and session start is
completed) the CPE will then request a delegation, we will then provide
a /56 - and we then really expect a form of session update to inform us
of the additionally delegated prefix, but we're unable to get hold of this.

pretty much the delegations are static towards the customer, and
tracking beyond that static delegation isn't our responsibility, for
dynamic delegations though where we need to for various reasons know
which prefixes were delegated to which customers at what times ... big
problem.

Kind Regards,
Jaco