[rpd] AFPUB-2018-GEN-001-DRAFT02

S. Moonesamy sm+af at afrinic.net
Mon Apr 8 14:19:10 UTC 2019

Hi Dewole,
At 04:37 AM 08-04-2019, Dewole Ajao wrote:
>For a while now, the procedure (as part of lessons learnt) has been
>for staff to provide their analysis of draft proposals once they are
>received so it's not really on the author. Co-chairs and staff have
>long agreed that this makes sense.
>
>Availability of such analyses will however not be immediate as (in
>addition to back and forth with the authors for clarification of
>text submitted,) inputs have to be collated across different units
>of the organization and approved by the CEO before being fed back to
>the author(s) and the community.

Thank you for providing the above information about how the analysis
of a proposal is done.  How long does it usually take from the time
the PDWG is asked to provide feedback [1] to when the analysis of the
proposal is available?

>I hope this helps clarify as you keep asking the author if there
>will be staff assessment/analysis.

I'll use this proposal as an example.  I expected the proposal to be
an easy one as there was a similar proposal previously.  The author
mentioned that there was a similar proposal being discussed in the
RIPE region.  I assumed that there might be some analysis to help
participants discuss the proposal prior to the policy meeting.  My
understanding of the email exchange (I could be wrong) is that all
the analysis work is being left to Afrinic Ltd.  I am not sure
whether that is how it works in other service regions.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2019/008994.html